Freelander fuel pump

potshot

Pulled up to the trafic lights near home this morning and the car spluttered from the lights and stalled mid junction...I managed to restart it but it shuddered and miss fired itself for about 50 yards and then died....The RAC came and he did lots of tests and he deduced that the Fuel Pump had died...my car is an 02 plate 1.8 petrol and I would like to know what sort of cost is involved in the replacement...It was towed to Guy Salmon in Stockport so yes it is a main dealer repair.

Be Gentle with me...or should I go get the Vaseline... :lol::lol:

^^^ What he said, it's not hard although you may need a second pair of hands to help persuade the pump in. I got a 2nd hand one for £30 from the scrappy, you need to check the connector on the top is the same, there seem to be two sizes of connector (ask me how I know) I ended up putting the bottom of the new pump onto the top of the old pump to make it all work, but it was a right palarva.

^^^ What he said, it's not hard although you may need a second pair of hands to help persuade the pump in. I got a 2nd hand one for £30 from the scrappy, you need to check the connector on the top is the same, there seem to be two sizes of connector (ask me how I know) I ended up putting the bottom of the new pump onto the top of the old pump to make it all work, but it was a right palarva.

Also you don't need to buy Gen part as that will cost a premium and as above its a very easy job so even if you get the dealer to do it the labour cost should be no longer than 1-2 hours max

I won't bore the hell out of you with the full story, but!.....four pumps later, two wrong type and one right type but broken direct from land rover.... the fourth pump works and the car is now back on the road...a full week to complete a repair that took less than 20 minutes....what a farce...the best bit is that it was done under the Warranty, so I did not have to part with my hard earned...I have decided that I will have to buy the Haynes Manual and try to do future repairs myself...get the RAC to diagnose the problem and effect the repair myself.....many thanks for the replies.