fitting axle breathers

gorgeous george

I'm sure it's easier than it looks but this afternoon i climbed under the land rover only to discover that my axle breathers are much different to that of my mates landcruisers. Infact I saw it had a large washer type thing around it. I was wondering if these generaly have to be removed and replaced with a different fitting if i wanted to connect some hose to them and run it up to a snorkle?

how do others usually do this job?

cheers

Aaah, this is easy really :P

The standard breather is a little domed thingy with a ball bearing in it (as you have found) which, when new, is supposed to be a kind of one-way valve. They tend to stick and don't really keep water out :rolleyes:

At the base it's got a hex head so you can unscrew it, the thread is 1/8" BSP. You can buy extended breather kits but they're about £25, the alternative is to buy a couple of stainless pneumatic fittings (1/8" BSP to 6mm push-fit nylon hose 90 degree elbow) and a load of 6mm nylon hose. That lot should set you back less than £20, the fittings are about £2 each and the hose is about 62p/m. A generous handfull of cable ties and you're there probably for around a tenner.

To put a part number on it, you want a couple of Norgren 10-247-0618 : 90° Swivel Elbow Adaptor 6mm O/D tube 1/8" BSPP or similar.

2384.jpg

Hyphose stock these but most places that do pneumatic gear (RS Components and Pirtek for two) should have something identical available.

I'm sure it's easier than it looks but this afternoon i climbed under the land rover only to discover that my axle breathers are much different to that of my mates landcruisers. Infact I saw it had a large washer type thing around it. I was wondering if these generaly have to be removed and replaced with a different fitting if i wanted to connect some hose to them and run it up to a snorkle?

how do others usually do this job?

cheers

Have a look at the 'Breather Kit' page of www.llama4x4.co.uk...

Even if you don't buy the kit, it shows you the way to put your breathgers together etc...

Mant thanks

David

Wasn't there a post from Tony suggesting that running breathers into the snorkel has sucked oil out of his axles or something? :huh:

Might help slow down my oil leaks :lol:

But seriously folks - I have no factual info here so I am sticking my neck out - but I would have guessed that the vacuum in a snorkel was minimal? Since I am planning (one day) to run my breathers into the (currently vapour) snorkel - has anyone actually measured this effect?

FF - I tried searching for +snorkel +breather but couldn't find the post that you mentioned, and I don't know who Tony is... Could you point an old man in the right direction please? :)

Tony = White90, like I said it was just something he reported, I too wouldn't expect much vacuum at the top of a snorkel but stranger things have happened.

The induction noise at my snorkel is "interesting" to say the least :lol: from my calculations based on a 3.5V8 idling at 1kRPM and an inlet snorkle diameter of 3.5"D, I came up with a column of air as follows:

engine capacity 3500 cc 213.5831 Inches^3

Engine Speed 1000 rpm

Inlet Diameter 3.5 Inches

Inlet Area 38.48451001 Inches^2

Air Volume 1779.859167 Inches^3/s

Air Speed 46.24871582 Inches/s

Naturally with a TDi it would be less, but it gets you thinking what the air speed is at something like 4500RPM :)