mondeo TD....dont like the cold

gelf

the last couple of frosty mornings has given my mondeo TD a starting problem :angry: i let the glow plugs go on and off a couple of times... turn the key,it starts,runs for 3 or 4 seconds and stops.....and then you have to keep winding it over and over till it eventually starts.

i'll go and get a new set of glow plugs later.... but any other ideas?

graham

the last couple of frosty mornings has given my mondeo TD a starting problem :angry: i let the glow plugs go on and off a couple of times... turn the key,it starts,runs for 3 or 4 seconds and stops.....and then you have to keep winding it over and over till it eventually starts.

graham

Toyota Yaris. :lol:

Have the battery checked out. I could feel my battery struggling a bit more than usual this morning -2 C; good job I replaced it when the last one was on its last legs; Would have had to call the AA otherwise or remove the battery from the LWT and jump start it.

graham

Sounds more like a fuelling problem to me rather than glowplugs - when was the last time the filter was changed? There's a drain on the bottom of the filter housing to get rid of excess water - at a guess I would say that this was the problem.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Some possibilities: If engine is old and compression is poor, the initial heating of the air in the cylinders by the glow plugs is lost as the engine starts and sucks freezing cold air in before enough heat from the first few firings transfers heat into the metal of the engine.

Similar effects will happen if some of the glow plugs are working and others are not even if the compression is reasonable. Basically, the air drawn in is too cold to be heated enough by the rising pistons(compression) to establish combustion of the diesel on their own. Which is why glow plugs need to be working on most engines in winter.

Regards,

Diff

Battery would be the first port of call for me, followed by Glow plugs, glow plug timer and post start control, Im not sure if Mondeos have a throttle sensing microswitch to shut the post start heating off when you press the pedal - but if it has check that too.

Thinking about it My dad used to have a mondeo and even in winter it didn't need much glowplugs if any

his laguna is the same

as is my def110 and his def110?

had lots of reports about watery diesel could you have picked up a load?

graham

Well i think the problem is its a ford and remeber that stands for Fix Or Repair Daily :lol::lol:

[touch wood]

my def110 hasn't given me major problems

[/touch wood]

couple of break downs due to carp fuel not major

one chip on screen insurance jobby

one attempted break in (alarm saved the day)

one light switch melted again halfords for replacement it proper one sorted

hence me thinking of ways to improve it see heated wash thread :D