extreme suspension

It is not an over the top kit but Gwyn Lewis has a very nice kit, I have some of it on my bobtail and I know a few other people with it and they are all very pleased with it. It is a complete bolt on kit so no majour modifications are needed. It is a high quality kit with mainly Old Man Emu. Its £1200, which for what it is I think is very good value for money. Have a look www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk :D

It is not an over the top kit but Gwyn Lewis has a very nice kit, I have some of it on my bobtail and I know a few other people with it and they are all very pleased with it. It is a complete bolt on kit so no majour modifications are needed. It is a high quality kit with mainly Old Man Emu. Its £1200, which for what it is I think is very good value for money. Have a look www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk :D

Totally agree with the above, i run this too, Very well made very solid and is perfect! Give Gwyn a ring really nice guy.

personally wouldnt go for it unless you just want a bolt on kit

source the parts separtly and build a better kit

also if you do want bolt on

http://www.qtservices.co.uk/region.asp?id=319

http://www.maxtraction.co.uk/extremesus.htm

hope this helps

dave

Can you explain why you would do this? Gwyn has spent hours and hours looking into shocks and vehicle applications and fabricating this kit so it works, he has proven it works also in competitions. No other shock comes close to ome.

the QT system IS VERY expensive

Can you explain why you would do this? Gwyn has spent hours and hours looking into shocks and vehicle applications and fabricating this kit so it works, he has proven it works also in competitions. No other shock comes close to ome.

the QT system IS VERY expensive

all depends what he wants from the vehical different springs differents shocks OME stuff i think is very over priced an also only come in +2" as a max

i prefere the scorpion racing springs personally and pro comp shocks

the brakets for the suspension kit is all availble separately

i think i didnt word it how i ment it and as you said it is a proven design in competitions hence why i wouldnt have it, how many other competitors are using the same kit, thats why i wouldnt use it i'd try tweeking and trying different parts etc to get the best out of the landy

dave

I think the rteason so many people use the Gwyn Lewis kit is because it is good ( damned good ) and sensible money - what it lacks in flashy style it more than makes up for in the fact that it works properly!!

That is the very reason I chose to sell Gwyn's bracketry and had Rough Country make a LR valved shock especially to suit the brackets.

I choose to sell it in bits rather than as a complete kit so people can choose a different spring etc. but the fact still remains - if you want a quality suspension setup that actually works properly ( and most don't to be honest - bottoming out shocks or going coilbound too soon etc ) Gwyn's brachetry is simply the best on the market

David

Hi David

I personally find the damping in the challenge shocks too soft on both front and rear ( I realise that using the Gwyn Lewis rear mounts will lose some of the damping due to the angle).

Do you have any plans to have a version with a better damping effect?

Thanks

Steve

is the scorpion extreme suspension any good

The scorpion kit is very good but if is quite a bit more expensive. I don't quite know how much, but it does require alot more work to fit it. Personally as I said before the gwyn lewis kit is amazing and works very well everywhere. It is soft so handling is down a little, however this allows it to flew much more keeping the wheels firmly on the floor. Also the quality of his work is fantastic. Give him a call because he will also give you loads of information and advice and refer to the other products with their draw backs, a very helpful and friendly guy. Here is a pic of mine with some 32" tyres on it, (35" are next up!) It was restricted by the ramps not being tall enough and trailing arms being standard, so it will drop down another 2" or so.

post-6427-1199816780_thumb.jpg

Hi David

I personally find the damping in the challenge shocks too soft on both front and rear ( I realise that using the Gwyn Lewis rear mounts will lose some of the damping due to the angle).

Do you have any plans to have a version with a better damping effect?

Thanks

Steve

I will certainly make a big note of your feedback but have no plans as yet to change the valving as this is the first comment about them being too soft I have received out of something like 650 of them now being out there

David

I will certainly make a big note of your feedback but have no plans as yet to change the valving as this is the first comment about them being too soft I have received out of something like 650 of them now being out there

David

I suspect that most people wouldn't comment, especially if they are changing out from long procomp 9000's. I find that on road it bounces too much for me and some better damping would be an improvement. Doesn't mean it's not ok, just could be better in my opinion. Off-road they are obviously no problem. For a comparison I put the previous +2" DeCarbon's on the front again and the damping was much better on road again.

Cheers

Steve

Well mines a mix of all sorts of bits built up over time but very happy with the Gwyn Lewis rear shock mounts I'm using.

Have recently swapped my rear +3 procomps for rough county I will add to the voice that these do feel softer though I'm getting accustomed to it now and am very happy with them off road. Should also add I found David (Llama4x4) a great guy to deal with for the gwyn lewis bits and RC shocks.

post-9-1199835634_thumb.jpg

Next decision is retained, gwyn lewis cones or the X-eng spring extenders....

all depends what he wants from the vehical different springs differents shocks OME stuff i think is very over priced an also only come in +2" as a max

i prefere the scorpion racing springs personally and pro comp shocks

the brakets for the suspension kit is all availble separately

i think i didnt word it how i ment it and as you said it is a proven design in competitions hence why i wouldnt have it, how many other competitors are using the same kit, thats why i wouldnt use it i'd try tweeking and trying different parts etc to get the best out of the landy

dave

this is where you are totally WRONG! i see you havent looked in to his kit at all?????>? plus 2 inch you say??? try 5 1/2 inch! yes thats is correct................. yes they are ome and yes again they are plus 5 1/2 inch extra!

Hi.

I have Gwyns challenge kit, again cant really speak highly enough about it. I didnt use his springs I used slightly softer ones, as mine is a full rag top and has very little in terms of weight in the back.

Again not the prettiest stuff in the world, D44 stuff gets that vote in my book, but as countless other people have said it works, and it works very well. I am at work now but i'll try and put some pics on later when i'm at home.

Everything is exceptionally strong and well made, its still made by Gwyn, and if you have questions or problems then the customer backup is second to none. He is an exceptionally nice guy who knows a hell of a lot about Land Rovers. (I am not related to Gwyn, nor do I get any discount, I am just a very satisfied customer). I built up to the challenge kit over approx 1 year buying bits as the budget allowed for.

Take some time to look around and see just how many people are selling Gwyn lewis chellange kits (or parts of it) and they are doing that for a reason, because it works.

No you wont win the twist off challenge with it but you can drive it home and get great articulation off road. Again its a buyers market and you pays your money and takes your choice.

I have seen many Scropion springs sagging, and indeed I believe that QT dont use the 'blue' springs on thier 3 link truck any more but use OME springs because the 'blue' ones sagged.

Just my 2P worth.

Rich.

£ for £ LLama4x4's your man.Forum users get a discount and the kit is first rate IMO.

My spring are soft on the rear so the dampers suit it very well.If you run higher poundage springs there will be a point where the damper won't keep up with the spring.

this is where you are totally WRONG! i see you havent looked in to his kit at all?????>? plus 2 inch you say??? try 5 1/2 inch! yes thats is correct................. yes they are ome and yes again they are plus 5 1/2 inch extra!

hey stand corrected never seen OME in that plus size an never seen them over +"2 except the extra heavy duty ones which i was told may lift a little extra than "2 due to the spring rating

quote name='richfear' post='215900' date='Jan 9 2008, 02:36 PM']Hi.

I have Gwyns challenge kit, again cant really speak highly enough about it. I didnt use his springs I used slightly softer ones, as mine is a full rag top and has very little in terms of weight in the back.

Again not the prettiest stuff in the world, D44 stuff gets that vote in my book, but as countless other people have said it works, and it works very well. I am at work now but i'll try and put some pics on later when i'm at home.

Everything is exceptionally strong and well made, its still made by Gwyn, and if you have questions or problems then the customer backup is second to none. He is an exceptionally nice guy who knows a hell of a lot about Land Rovers. (I am not related to Gwyn, nor do I get any discount, I am just a very satisfied customer). I built up to the challenge kit over approx 1 year buying bits as the budget allowed for.

Take some time to look around and see just how many people are selling Gwyn lewis chellange kits (or parts of it) and they are doing that for a reason, because it works.

No you wont win the twist off challenge with it but you can drive it home and get great articulation off road. Again its a buyers market and you pays your money and takes your choice.

I have seen many Scropion springs sagging, and indeed I believe that QT dont use the 'blue' springs on thier 3 link truck any more but use OME springs because the 'blue' ones sagged.

Just my 2P worth.

Rich.

As promised some pics, This isnt really trying just a bit of a laugh at a local P&Play site.

Hopethis helps.

Rich.

post-3628-1199910383_thumb.jpg

post-3628-1199910417_thumb.jpg

post-3628-1199910444_thumb.jpg

post-3628-1199910457.jpg

post-3628-1199910696_thumb.jpg

I find that on road it bounces too much for me and some better damping would be an improvement. Doesn't mean it's not ok, just could be better in my opinion. Off-road they are obviously no problem. For a comparison I put the previous +2" DeCarbon's on the front again and the damping was much better on road again.

Cheers

Steve

I use the Challenge kit which I had off David at Llama, I did mix it with some D44 OME Springs from devon4x4 and I used reverse cones from QT on the rear, I think for the money it is great value.

Regarding Steves comment about the shocks been soft I have to agree on road, there is a difference from the OME I took off even though the Rough Country shocks are harder to push in, so I don't know if it is the shocks or the change in the angle of the shock that alters the on road stability slightly, Off road they are truly awesome.

So you need to ask yourself how much on road to off road driving you are doing, I am not saying the RC shocks are bad by any means, you just have to ease off the pedal in the corners a little more on tarmac, but if you are going to fit MT aggressive tyres that is not a bad thing anyway.

For my money LLama or Gwyn Lewis win it, for an endless pocket QT Services with D44 springs, Scorpion looks nice but cannot give a view point as I have not used the Extreme kit.

Hope this helps

Mark.