Fuel Lift pump

KirstyW

Hi,

I am new to this fourm and site and I hope someone might be able to shed light on my fule lift pump problems. Replaced the lift pump on my 1997 TDi after the top pipe fractured as it entered the pump and was squirting deseil everywhere less than 20,000 miles ago. Current mileage is 100,500 and the replacement pump has also started leaking around the lip which is turned over the body of the pump between the top pressed section and the cast body.

Is this a common problem and I just have to live with it or is it an indication of another issue which I am not yet aware of?

Many thanks for advices.

Kirsty

Has the plastic fuel pipe from filter to pump been replaced? A certain age of Discovery, and a certain age of replacement pipe, was too short, which means that when the engine gives a good kick on its mounts, e.g. when starting or stopping, it pulls the pipe tight and breaks the pump. There is a later pipe which has a curly section in it (as did the old ones IIRC) which gives a bit more room for things to move. Could be the problem. Can't recall part numbers offhand but I may be able to find them if you are stuck.

Has the plastic fuel pipe from filter to pump been replaced? A certain age of Discovery, and a certain age of replacement pipe, was too short, which means that when the engine gives a good kick on its mounts, e.g. when starting or stopping, it pulls the pipe tight and breaks the pump. There is a later pipe which has a curly section in it (as did the old ones IIRC) which gives a bit more room for things to move. Could be the problem. Can't recall part numbers offhand but I may be able to find them if you are stuck.

No the pipe is the original so this might be a cause. I shall look into either finding the parts or making some longer pipes.

Cheers

Would it be possible to tighten the seal by crushing the turn with a pair of pliers or similar?

Having said that - is the pump still under guarantee?

Les.

I could try it in a vice I suppose. Unfortunately the new pump is over a year old as I do not do high mileage. I have also just discovered that I am still on the original cam belt at 100k +!!!

What make of Lift Pump did you fit?

If it was a Britpart then they are known for only lasting a few miles, so fit a more expensive one

I don't know the manufacturer. However it came from a Land Rover main dealer (Marshalls) and cost something like 90 GBP with VAT.

Oh dear, you know you should never have posted that - you're inviting trouble.

The change is 72k miles or 5-years.

Les.

I am not an expert and had realised my error this afternoon after reading around the forum. Rest assured that I have been phoning around to get a quote for this as I do not feel that I have the neccessary skills or tools to tackle this job. The vehicle will remain of the road until I fix the fuel pump then the only trip it will make will be to get the cam belt replaced.

Thanks for your help - Kirsty

You should be able to pick up an OEM (made to the same specs as the original) lift pump for about £30, the cheaper ones are around £15 and apparently don't last. I've just put an OEM one on mine, took about 15 mins to change it over in the dark. The one I took off was a DELPHI one which I have been told are a good make, that one lasted 4 months before blocking itself up inside and refusing to let fuel pass through.

I'm not convinced the lift pump is actually required - I ran my disco without the lift pump for about 3 days with a piece of rubber fuel pipe bypassing the lift pump - only emergency journeys and not far but it ran really well.

Thanks for this. Having looked again I am almost certain this is the cause. One of the pipes (from the fuel filter) is very short possible due to the banjo on the feul filter pointing slight back towards the bulkhead. It is certainly true that if the engine kicked towards to passenger side it would give a sharpe tug and a consequent twisting motion to the top of the fuel pump.

If you happen to have the part numbers for the replacement fuel pipes or a supplier for desiel proof Neoprene tubing of the right bore, I would be grateful.

Thanks - Kirsty

That sounds like the problem then.

The part number you need for the new type fuel pipe is WJP108350, this will probably be a dealer-only item but I don't think it is too expensive.

There are two older numbers ESR2991 and ESR3371 make sure you do NOT get these as they are the old spec - you can easily tell the difference to look at as the new type of pipe has a full coil built into it to allow movement, whereas the old one is nearly straight. Any dealer should have these superceded to the new number anyway but aftermarket suppliers may not.

I'm not convinced the lift pump is actually required - I ran my disco without the lift pump for about 3 days with a piece of rubber fuel pipe bypassing the lift pump - only emergency journeys and not far but it ran really well.

Very true. We get many 300tdi's in for a service and find that we cannot prime the system because the pumps don't work. The owners then say 'but it used to work yesterday', and have suspicions that we have somehow nadgered the thing and are taking them for a ride.

If you just drive around town and don't try to go above, say, 60mph, the engine will run fine without the pump, up to about 3000rpm.

Very true. We get many 300tdi's in for a service and find that we cannot prime the system because the pumps don't work. The owners then say 'but it used to work yesterday', and have suspicions that we have somehow nadgered the thing and are taking them for a ride.

If you just drive around town and don't try to go above, say, 60mph, the engine will run fine without the pump, up to about 3000rpm.

and past that, it revs freely all the way - there is no noticeable difference it will go to 90+ without the pump and rev to it's normal points, mine is the Auto EDC if that makes a difference

I'm saying for day to day use I don't think it's required - I bypassed it with a bit of rubber fuel line over xmas so I could still drive it and without the lift pump in there it ran perfectly, with the duff lift pump in it ran dreadfully and was getting worse, it was blocking the fuel from going through in the end - so I can see that a duff lift pump can make a disco go slower by restricting it but I don't think the lift pump helps anything except hand priming