There has to be a better way.......

If you can get it working properly, it's well up to the job, my 90 gets toasty once the engine is warm.

Check that it's getting hot water, and that the levers/wires are working properly, and not snagged etc.

The next step is a seperate diesel cab heater (eberspacher, webasto, etc), but they're not cheap.

Nah, surely the step before that is an up-rated heater matrix and a scoopy vent thing on the wing? Dam sight cheaper as well.....

Actually, first step for me would be to pull the hoses off the heater matrix and back-flush it with a hose pipe on full blast - you'll be amazed at the amount of crud that will have collected in there as the matrix has a kind of cyclone effect and it dumps slit at the bottom eventually choking it off all-together...... I'd be doing that first........

Here in SA we have the opposite problem of heaters that don't want to switch off .... But the cause is the same. Check that the cables are closing and opening the flaps completely, they are easy to adjust.

And one of the problems with the Defender is that the hot air won't come in because the air inside has no way to get out - my heater works better with the sunroof open ! So maybe you could add some sort of exit hole at the back somewhere.

And one of the problems with the Defender is that the hot air won't come in because the air inside has no way to get out - my heater works better with the sunroof open ! So maybe you could add some sort of exit hole at the back somewhere.

Eh? Never heard that before. There are plenty of holes for air to get out of mine.

Do you get a hiss of positive pressure air as you open the door? ;)

Not really, I have always been able to see daylight out of the bottom of the passenger's door. But having a window open increases the flow through the heater by a lot. If I drive in the winter with the sunroof open, I get fresh air to the head and hot air to the feet :)

What the hell happened there?????????????????????????????????

Anyway, as I was saying...........................................

Make sure matrix & inlet duct are clear, seals in good condition ands the flaps are properly adjusted (MOST important).

As long as the engine is getting up to the correct working temperature (if it isn't then get it fixed) then you have the ability to pull in some serious heat, no need for rad muffs or hotter thermostats etc. My 300TDi takes a few miles to get hot but then it can keep the cab warm in even the coldest weather and I don't have to wear a thick coat, gloves, hat etc (only my 101 was like that).

What the hell happened there?????????????????????????????????

Anyway, as I was saying...........................................

Make sure matrix & inlet duct are clear, seals in good condition ands the flaps are properly adjusted (MOST important).

As long as the engine is getting up to the correct working temperature (if it isn't then get it fixed) then you have the ability to pull in some serious heat, no need for rad muffs or hotter thermostats etc. My 300TDi takes a few miles to get hot but then it can keep the cab warm in even the coldest weather and I don't have to wear a thick coat, gloves, hat etc (only my 101 was like that).

All duplicate replies have been dumped in the bin :D

from your friendly ever alert Moderator :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks Western.

I have no idea what happened there, one second I was happily typing and the next I could just see a never ending line of replies!

Well it's one way to up your post count - if that's what turns you on :)

Don't tip coffee or coke on your keyboard it causes the keys to stick BTDT :D