Switzerland or bust...

Silvertemper

Ok after the questions about my wierd 'knock'..my next question is as follows:

She's a 1991 classic, 75k fully documented, fully serviced, completely unspoilt...not a thing has been missed service wise or replacement wise (hence my paranoia about the 'knock' as she's not long come to me)

I usually drive through Europe & have a trip to Grindlewald planned in late feb..(foot of the Eiga!)

My question is: Will this well maintained seasoned lady cope with a 2,000 mile round trip or am I expecting too much? I'm afraid my view is that cars should be driven..and frankly 75k for a 91 vehicle is probably low enough to cause more harm than good..imho

What do you think? Am I expecting too much? or exactly what is to be expected ..I can't stress how incredibly clean this vehicle is..(it really is that good mechanically..except for that bloody knock!!! grrr :rolleyes: )

Think you need to ask yourself if "you" trust it or not, everyone knows their own car but remember it's a land rover. Be prepared for at least minor problems, Personally i think if you trust the car then go for it. It can only add to the joy of it if your in the right frame of mind.

As you have already expressed a concern, I suggest it's wise to ensure your Recovery Service will accept a '91 vehicle. I wouldn't mention any 'knock' concerns though, either now or in the event of a recovery.

Once you know you have a backstop in place just do as DC suggests, plan for minor problems.

Good Luck

I used to do about a 1400 mile round trip every christmas (to Aberdeen and back via Yorkshire, so it was all in the UK), and never had any problems, and my '93 wasn't quite as clean as yours! It never gave me any trouble on that run, although plenty at other times. Like David says, I'd make sure you've got adequate recovery and go for it. I miss my Range Rover on long trips (okay, and short ones) - it was a far, far better motorway car than the Discovery.

Probably should have been a bit more fortcoming! I bought this vehicle just before Xmas..and being naturally cynical (female trait! :P ) I can't help looking a gift horse in the mouth..i.e. it seems to be good to be true. (can't find a thing wrong with it...)

The 'knock' as discovered from a previous thread (thanks to all for that) is a 'just-starting-to-have-a-bit-of-play' CV joint, I'm just a bit sensitive to any changes in the engine..and being a non mechanic but hugely interested..i like to know not just the how to fix, but why it started and what the knock-on effect might be.

As far as I can see..this is a vehicle that will just enjoy being used the way it was supposed to be. Just I am so used to hoofing through Europe in a slightly different sort of vehicle..I wondered if I was expecting a tad too much..I know most of you are extremely experienced and knowledgable...and apart from not wanting to be standing like a lemon at 3.00am on a European motorway ( B) !!) I just wondered what you thought..

;)

I say go and have fun, there is a very very very slight chance i might be doing the landy rally in september that covers about 2300miles. so i'm hoping if if if i get to go, that my 92 classic is up for the trip,

I say go and have fun, there is a very very very slight chance i might be doing the landy rally in september that covers about 2300miles. so i'm hoping if if if i get to go, that my 92 classic is up for the trip,

Landy Rally??? <wide eyes> ohhhh cooooool....me want to go :P

Have a looky on the bofa4x4 site, loads of info and they are planning to go this year. Also might be a good day out for you if your not too far away. Just watch out for bill, his patter is carp lol (tell him DC said so)

B)