4HP22 rebuild?

Astro_Al

Thanks for that. There is another useful link off that page where the guy has replaced his A-clutch, but its all quite vague.

I'd like to know what to replace if I tear it down myself, and if it can in a 'resonable workshop' and for a 'reasonable budget'.

My A-clutch is defo on the way out, and from that link it seems I'm living on borrowed time before I have no forward drive left at all. (I have all the not-shifting up from first when cold etc symptoms, plus a general feeling of slippage).

I have access to a 'spare' (probably kaput) 'box and would like to rebuild it on the side so I can continue to drive while I'm at it. I just dunno if its worth it, which parts to replace, or where to get input on how. (But I'm up for trying!)

Cheers, Al.

:)

The rebuilding of autoboxes is much easier than a manual ..........................where most fail is cleanliness............

Or maybe this is just a vapour rebuild ? :lol:

Good. Easy is good. Clean is doable.

If it is a vapour rebuild, I'm gonna be without car. :(

Any more inputs?! I can't believe thereis so little out there! Al.

:)

JP (Automatic Transmissions) Ltd stock all the parts for the ZF4HP22. IIRC, their Master Overhaul Kit comes out around £150 and covers everything needed for a thorough overhaul (Torque Converter is extra).

They can also supply the ATSG 4HP22 Techtran Manual for ~£30. It might be cheaper to buy on Ebay in the US!

There are a few mod's to improve the reliability of the box (drilling a bleed hole for the forward A clutch is one) which can be found on the net - typically BMW / Peugeot / Jag sites.

I bought a spare box (v. cheap) to investigate the feasibility of overhauling a 4HP22 and possibly including some of the uprated components from the 4HP24. Lack of time and low priority means I haven't put much effort in, but a quick test of stripdown & reassembly hasn't been too difficult. Not bought or fitted any new parts yet.

There's mention of a tool for setting the position of the valve body (P/N 5 P 89 001 673 or Land Rover selector linkage setting tool LST109). I haven't seen one of these in the flesh, but it appears to be a distance piece. Can be bought from JPAT. I've not worried about that detail in my exploratory work, but will have to buy/make a tool.

The only other tools you will need are a Torx bits (including #27). Everything else can be done with regular workshop tools and a bit of thought.