Fuel Sender Unit

potshot

Like the title says the new fuel pump and sender unit shows full when it is empty and empty when it is full...we replaced the new fuel pump with a new unit today and still the problem is there...I spoke to Land Rover who had no idea what it could be....I might well have been talking in chineese to them for all it mattered.....they said that when the pump burned out it sent a spike of power to the gauge on the dash and this has probably cause the fuel gauge to run backwards...what a load of horse shat!!!!....so come on you experts, what is wrong with my car....box of beer to the one who helps me put it right.

I don't know if it can physically happen but perhaps the float on the unit is turned over and facing the wrong way somehow?

Otherwise maybe the potentiometer is wired up wrong so it reads high resistance when it should read low or vice versa.

I don't know if it can physically happen but perhaps the float on the unit is turned over and facing the wrong way somehow?

Otherwise maybe the potentiometer is wired up wrong so it reads high resistance when it should read low or vice versa.

I think this and so do others but getting it wrong twice in a row seems a bit long odds...It is deffinately installed correctly and there is nothing snagging the float....I just think it is wired up wrong but the manufacture is refusing to sort it out...time me thinks for Trading Standards to get involved.

The dash could be at fault, the potentiometer that is attached to the float just provides an electrical resistance so you can't get it reversed (or if you do, it doesn't actually make a difference). It may read inaccurately but not upside-down unless the actual float unit is upside-down. I have a spare unit from a '98 Petrol here (attached to a dead fuel pump) if you want to try that.

An idiot with a multimeter and some very basic knowledge should be able to prove if it's the sender, wiring, or gauge/dash that's at fault, it's not rocket science.

If it's under warranty then the dealer should sort it out not argue about what it is.

The dash could be at fault, the potentiometer that is attached to the float just provides an electrical resistance so you can't get it reversed (or if you do, it doesn't actually make a difference). It may read inaccurately but not upside-down unless the actual float unit is upside-down. I have a spare unit from a '98 Petrol here (attached to a dead fuel pump) if you want to try that.

An idiot with a multimeter and some very basic knowledge should be able to prove if it's the sender, wiring, or gauge/dash that's at fault, it's not rocket science.

If it's under warranty then the dealer should sort it out not argue about what it is.

I spoke to the dealer again today and told him I want the car looking at by an electrical engineer...we have a local vehicle diagnostics centre who are very good and he agrees that it needs sorting...I have a multimeter but the weather is nasty at the present and I am not for getting wet...it will be sorted, just when....and your kind offer of the broken unit...thank you but no, I expect the garage to sort it...they have been paid they have to sort it.....thanks again.

If its like the defender tank, then it'll have 3 male spade connectors coming out of the sender. Only 2 of them are used. On my defender, its the middle connector, and the front connector. If for some strange reason someone was to use the middle and rear connector then the guage will read full when empty and empty when full.

If the rear and front connectors are used, and the middle connector is left empty then the guage will read full scale regardless of tank content. ;)

• 2 months later...
Like the title says the new fuel pump and sender unit shows full when it is empty and empty when it is full...we replaced the new fuel pump with a new unit today and still the problem is there...I spoke to Land Rover who had no idea what it could be....I might well have been talking in chineese to them for all it mattered.....they said that when the pump burned out it sent a spike of power to the gauge on the dash and this has probably cause the fuel gauge to run backwards...what a load of horse shat!!!!....so come on you experts, what is wrong with my car....box of beer to the one who helps me put it right.

i have the same problem with my freelander, the garage doesn't know whats causing the fuel guage to go backwards, We have also had a new fuel pump and dashboard pod fitted still nothing has worked. how did you get on with yours?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 years later...

Land Rover Freelander 2  XS 2007. Fuel gauge on start, shows whatever is in the tank. .let's say quarter full.  Start up and drive off. After a short while it drops to zero, audible warning sounds (Beep-Beep) Mileage counter indicates fuel 0 in tank.

Vehicle continues to drive as normal...but after about 10 miles, vehicle goes into 'Limp Mode' suddenly after a short while Gauge come back to life and vehicle picks up revs as normal, however, at any time the sequence can be repeated!  

I think that I am looking at a sender unit...anybody else have a different opinion?

Thanks   

3 hours ago, Kevin Hulme said:

I think that I am looking at a sender unit...anybody else have a different opinion?

Well it's likely sender or wiring, can you read the diagnostics codes from it as that may give a clue?

Not familiar with the FL2 but a lot of vehicles the pump wiring and sender wiring are on the same plug, and the sender & pump are one (quite expensive) unit, although replacing the sender separately is often possible.

It could be limping because it thinks there's no fuel or it could be that there's dodgy wiring leading to the sender and pump dying, giving low fuel pressure & a limp vehicle.