overdrive fitting problem

harryhedgehog

Hi, Can anyone help?

Right I have overdrive in place but I have approx. 10mm gap between mating faces.

Fairey instructions recommend starting / flicking starter in first with transfer box in neutral and pulling overdrive lever back. Then it should slide in to place.

But it does not.

Clutch sleeve fitted as per diagram with needle rollers towards transfer box and outer splines towards overdrive.

The mainshaft lock nut appears to be in a smilar position to what it was before stripping it down.

I assume the problem aliging the outer splines on the clutch sleeve with their mating internal splines in the overdrive?

Any suggestions? - Have I fitted something wrong?

Did you use the correct tab washer on the connecting dog? The ones for the OD unit have shorter tabs than the standard one. You can grind down the original type if you can't get the proper one.

Also make sure you have fully nocked over the tab, i had a similar problem on mine when i hadn't quite done it enough

• 2 weeks later...
Did you use the correct tab washer on the connecting dog? The ones for the OD unit have shorter tabs than the standard one. You can grind down the original type if you can't get the proper one.

Had the same problem, I grinded the tabs and OD slipped in place. Thank for tip!! ;)