advice please

pux

Hi guys im looking at a defender 200tdi for around the 3k mark the only concern i have at the moment is the milage its 188.000 would you let this put you off?? its been serviced at the correct times etc etc and the truck it's self is in good condition just the usual marks here and there :ph34r: thanks in advance for the help

p.s i must be mad selling my disco to get a 110 :lol::unsure::blink:

As previously mentioned. If it's got history that can be verified then all should be well. Just check the usual rust places- rear X member, trailing arm mounts chassis end and any other nooks and crannys.

Is it local to you? How long has the current owner had it? Can you contact the previous owner to check history?

Or ask some one who knows Def fairly well to look at it for/with you. A trusted mechanic or 1 of the fitters from work.

As previously mentioned. If it's got history that can be verified then all should be well. Just check the usual rust places- rear X member, trailing arm mounts chassis end and any other nooks and crannys.

Is it local to you? How long has the current owner had it? Can you contact the previous owner to check history?

Or ask some one who knows Def fairly well to look at it for/with you. A trusted mechanic or 1 of the fitters from work.

me looking at is not a problem i have had defenders before :ph34r: it's just the milage thats worrying me but it's about the only decent truck in my budget :angry: and its not local :lol: i dont half pick em :P

Ralphs' (western) mileage is nearly into astronauts figures, he swears by his 200.

Mine has 177K and runs fine. I think it's like any other car, you never really know do you?

MInes a lot more than 188,000 :D as you can verify the vehicles history & servicing, if it's in good all round condition there's not much to stop you, a 200TDi engine if looked after a reasonable intervals it'll go for years [mines nearly 14 years old now] as in any LR condition is almost everything.

MInes a lot more than 188,000 :D as you can verify the vehicles history & servicing, if it's in good all round condition there's not much to stop you, a 200TDi engine if looked after a reasonable intervals it'll go for years [mines nearly 14 years old now] as in any LR condition is almost everything.

Have to agree with Ralph on this one!

My own 110 is a about a year older than Ralph's, with just short of 225,000 on it - most of that on the 200Tdi.

Matt

putting aside whether or not the engine can take it, that's getting on for quite a lot of money for what is essentially a fairly old and fairly tired van. commercial landies, especially 110's are not in great demand and there's a fair number get sold on by fleet users so they dont attract the same money as csw's or 90's for which there seems to be a great demand. i think you're almost getting into td5 money at some auctions. unless keenly priced and with a record of having had a reaonable ammount of work done, at 188000 miles, i'd be inclined to look elsewhere.

putting aside whether or not the engine can take it, that's getting on for quite a lot of money for what is essentially a fairly old and fairly tired van. commercial landies, especially 110's are not in great demand and there's a fair number get sold on by fleet users so they dont attract the same money as csw's or 90's for which there seems to be a great demand. i think you're almost getting into td5 money at some auctions. unless keenly priced and with a record of having had a reaonable ammount of work done, at 188000 miles, i'd be inclined to look elsewhere.

Disagree. Of course it's a lot of money, all Defender models are fetching good money.

Buy Defenders on condition not mileage so much. 200tdi's good for 250k with good service history.

Also whilst the private buyer doesn't neccesarily want a 110 van, they are harder to find due the lack of sales in the first place.

I wouldn't worry so much about the mileage, more the age and the condition of the chassis. The mileage might put other buyers off, so you may get the price down a bit.

Callum, if you can buy Td5's from auction for £3k, get buying. I'll have everyone you can get and I'll give you £3.5k everytime. As long as they aren't mullered. :lol:

Disagree. Of course it's a lot of money, all Defender models are fetching good money.

Buy Defenders on condition not mileage so much. 200tdi's good for 250k with good service history.

Also whilst the private buyer doesn't neccesarily want a 110 van, they are harder to find due the lack of sales in the first place.

I wouldn't worry so much about the mileage, more the age and the condition of the chassis. The mileage might put other buyers off, so you may get the price down a bit.

Callum, if you can buy Td5's from auction for £3k, get buying. I'll have everyone you can get and I'll give you £3.5k everytime. As long as they aren't mullered. :lol:

get yourself to an auction my friend and not a 4x4 auction, a commercials auction. if you're looking at 3k for an old tdi, then you're looking in the wrong places. plenty of utilities, local authority and commercial user 110 van's get sold each year. in that application there's little competition for land rover. unless a rover has been really well looked after or undergone some sot of restoration, at 188k, there's a lot of wee bits that will be coming to the end of their lives. same with any car. unless you know the car well, there's a fair bit of risk there.

as i said, unless its well priced and been really well cared for, that's a lot of money for something which could leave you spending a lot of time lying underneath on your back in the cold. go with a critical eye pux, good luck.

get yourself to an auction my friend and not a 4x4 auction, a commercials auction. if you're looking at 3k for an old tdi, then you're looking in the wrong places. plenty of utilities, local authority and commercial user 110 van's get sold each year. in that application there's little competition for land rover. unless a rover has been really well looked after or undergone some sot of restoration, at 188k, there's a lot of wee bits that will be coming to the end of their lives. same with any car. unless you know the car well, there's a fair bit of risk there.

as i said, unless its well priced and been really well cared for, that's a lot of money for something which could leave you spending a lot of time lying underneath on your back in the cold. go with a critical eye pux, good luck.

Do'h i have just been and bought it :lol: :lol: but lucky for me it's had all the bits that would need attention done i.e has a new rear cross member one new out rigger new bulkhead two nee foot wells!!! plus who ever welded the out rigger it was a work of art. The chassi has been waxoiled each year and all in all it's a nice truck with stright panels :blink: and it just sat at 80mph for two hours on a private road :lol: :lol: as soon as i get chance i will get some pics up etc etc :P Thanks guy's for all the advice

Do'h i have just been and bought it :lol: :lol: but lucky for me it's had all the bits that would need attention done i.e has a new rear cross member one new out rigger new bulkhead two nee foot wells!!! plus who ever welded the out rigger it was a work of art. The chassi has been waxoiled each year and all in all it's a nice truck with stright panels :blink: and it just sat at 80mph for two hours on a private road :lol: :lol: as soon as i get chance i will get some pics up etc etc :P Thanks guy's for all the advice

Cograts PUX. looking forward to the pictures.

Happy motoring.

Ed.