mid mount winch

oddballrovers

Hi Folks.

Thanks for all the input great help, Ihave in my search for information found this info on loads:http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/glovebox/snatch.html

But I do recall that sometime wayback saw something about sheave "efficiency" ie if the relation BTW wire and sheave, is say 1:20 efficiency is 85%, I can however not find it anywhere, can anybody help?

Regards

Ole.

But anyway the oe plan was to use a front mount mechanical winch from RKI, working on The Kitten I got the idea why not go for mid mount/center mount??

So I started the search for info, did not find much, Foers Ibex was one, red-ibex another one, but that site is down nowadays.

I need some pictures please! and ideas and experience from you.

I am specially thinking about how to get the rope to the front in the best way for the rope??

If you want pictures have a look at this site - the Canadian patent office.

http://patents.ic.gc.ca/cipo/cpd/en/patent...01/summary.html

It's the patent application for the Foers (Ibex) Vector centre winch system. Follow the View or 'Download Images' link and then 'Drawings'.

Hope that helps.

H

If you want pictures have a look at this site - the Canadian patent office.

http://patents.ic.gc.ca/cipo/cpd/en/patent...01/summary.html

It's the patent application for the Foers (Ibex) Vector centre winch system. Follow the View or 'Download Images' link and then 'Drawings'.

Hope that helps.

H

Hi HoggyN

Super duper, that puts some light on where the weak and strong places are!!! Thanks a lot.

I have already drawn up haow to do a double fairled for the big pulley in the back and how to get the right triangulation for strenght, that you will all see in members vehicle forum under The Kitten.

By the way

This thing about efficiency still puzzles me brain anyone out there with knowledge in that field??

Regards

Ole.

This thing about efficiency still puzzles me brain anyone out there with knowledge in that field??

Regards

Ole.

Hi Ole

Then is is still working................... the brain........... :lol:

Sorry could not help it :P

Lars

• 1 year later...
There is curently a thread on Pirate general discussion forum titled ''Foers Vector winch'' to which I posted a link to some photos of a similar system I fitted to a Hybrid . Pirate appears to be down at the moment, but just to clear up a couple of points. Rear pulls are 2:1 ratio via a snatch block at the tree or other anchor point. Front pulls are 1:1 or optional 2;1, once again via a snatch block. If the winch is hidden under the floor ideally it should be mounted far enough forward of the rear roller fairlead so that the rope spools itself on reasonably neatly without bunching up. In our case it was mounted about 5ft forward of the fairlead and works pretty well. No problems were encountered with the RangeRover chassis buckling or distorting although the original pulley block mounting brackets required substantial reinforcement. If I can find the link before the edit period expires I'll include it on this post.

Bill.

Bill, here is a pic of the winch arrangement.

post-62-1236073161_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
The winch hook is merely attached to a shackle on the front bumper. Thanks for posting the photo John.

Bill.

Slightly OT. Apologies.

Bill, was there a damper down the middle of that centre spring arangement?

Slightly OT. Apologies.

Bill, was there a damper down the middle of that centre spring arangement?

No damper down the centre Hoggy.There were inboard mounted dampers plus additional dampers mounted to the lower torque rods though. The total spring rate of the inner and outer opposite wound coil springs from memory was 360 lb in. Not really enough with the spring mounted at that angle, even after I later added a 124 lb in spring each side in the normal location.Levelling for differing loads or to adjust belly clearance was effected by an air spring acting upon a lever arm attached to the centre of the anti roll bar, which was actually the rear suspension off a VW Beetle.

Bill.