I'm building a Range Rover hybrid, 2WD/4WD, FWH Nissan 4.2 Diesel

willfromsussex

Car looks awesome, especially on the new wheels - I thought the Slots looked good, but these are even better!

--

those new wheels look rather nice, wide arches are going to ruin the look though imho

I need to have a mess around in Photoshop, but I reckon spacing the wings out a la Group B would look MEAN :D

Audi%20Quattro%20S1%20-%20M3%20-%20IN-NE%207.jpg

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Oh man I am loving driving this about now. Even fitted a heater and boost gauge today.

rt-driveway.jpg

rt-eg.jpg

Turbo starts to be heard at 1100rpm, starts to produce boost at 1800rpm and is at full boost by 2100rpm (0.5 bar)

Only teething trouble is some air getting in the fuel pickup on hard corners due to the tank originally being for petrol carbs.

I am now running a air filter box which makes it much quieter, but the straight through exhaust still lets the turbo whistle be heard!

Does no rear windows not count as a teething issue? :P

Now I want some turbovecs too :( did they even come in an LR fitment? :P

Is it just me or are the fronts a lot more offset than the rears? The offset on the rears looks pretty perfect in that last photo :)

Windows shmindows. It's summer!

Tyres are 31 x 10.5 x 15. Rims are 8.5 inch wide.

Re wheels, these aren't 'Turbo Vecs'. I do have a set of Appliance Turbo Vecs,

620-vec2s.jpg

but the wheels on my RR are Western Wheel (Cyclone or Hurricane, not sure) Not seen either in LR fitment. I have SO much choice of wheels now !

Offset same (zero) front and rear, but RR bodys taper at the front making the wheels look more sticky outy. Amazingly they don't catch the wings.

FYI Turbo Vecs have 13 spokes which have NO CURVE. They have one angle.

Westerns have 15 curved spokes.

I also have a set of Wolfrace 8.5 x 15 currently under refurbishment.

However Wolfrace did a set of these wheels in 15" size, used to have a set on a early 4 door Schuler.

Might have some photos at home but here's one I stole from the web, not quite the same amount of awesome but same sort of style!

Photo0137.jpg

THankyou!

i'd like to add my thanks for putting up with all my newbie questions on here while building it, and thanks also to those of you who supplied parts.

YEs I've seen those wheels before, I had some new centrecaps for those a while back. I think they might be called Wolfrace Turbo. They did a slot alloy too.

Windows now in, (rattle about a bit, needs some attention there.)

rt-windowsin1.jpg

Here she is in supermarket carpark, quite easy to find!

rt-sainsb1.jpg

Still lots of bits to do.. tailgate lock cylinder, door locks don't work, no stereo, propane injection system.. Might get some of those light guards for it too or maybe a bull bar.

rt-gauges2.jpg

Made a little pod thing and installed my EGT and boost gauges.

Got my bulbholders so wired up the heater illumination panel, and the clock , and a radio. Bit more homely in there now. One dash vent is missing, hope to track one down soon.

Seems to be almost no room for the radio, wondering whether post 1986 cars had a dip in the tunnel to accommodate rear of radio?

night shot.

rt-gauges-night2.jpg

I have to say I like your work mate , and great facilities you have. I was stuck doing mine on the drive way- lucky we had the driest spring for years!

I am glad yours is the best colour too, I am a v8 man myself but I like the nissan running gear. is it known as being partuarly tough then?

One dash vent is missing, hope to track one down soon.

They go for peanuts on ebay - shouldn't take long to get hold of one.

Seems to be almost no room for the radio, wondering whether post 1986 cars had a dip in the tunnel to accommodate rear of radio?

My old '93 certainly did, but it's still a very tight fit - swine to slide into place without trapping any wires. There's also a nasty down side - if you have a heater matrix leak the coolant ends up sat in the dip bathing all your radio connectors...

YEs I remember my 93 radio being like a toaster as well, when you took a tape out it was that hot :) I have had to change from the radio i WAS going to use to one thats about 10mm less deep front to back. YEs Fett, the Patrol is pretty much legendary in places that had more of them like Australia and Middle East. Very similar design to rangies , particularly the front axle, but sort of 30% bigger everywhere. I've had loads of Rangies, plus other makes of 4x4 including Jeep Cherokee etc, and they all have weaknesses, be it diffs, shafts, transfer cases, but the Patrols are like they used Lorry components . (engine and gearbox actually IS used in 7.5 ton lorry in Japan). Diffs have 265mm crownwheels if that means anything to you (10.5 inch)

arrghh dont remind me , my heater matrix went on my 4 door rrc at Christmas and wrote off my 4 month old stereo :angry:

Interesting , so the patrols are very tough, but you like the rrc looks, and free tax? I have to say I like your thinking- with addtion of a v8 :D

Luckily mine came with gen lr rplacement engine with about 2k on it - its like a sewing machine, at least one good thing came on the car then lol

oo what yanks you got? I always wanted one but got distracted by range rovers as they were about the closest uk thing you can get to a yank.

I am running a bmw 540 , rrc 3.9 4 door and my 72 rrc atm, and yest its costing me a fortune. can be looking at £300 a week in fuel if I fill em all up

U get my pm?

• 5 months later...

Update Nov 11. Have raised front bumper up 2 inches to match the body lift. Got hold of a cheap/free bull bar, very manky, holes rotted through it etc, but have repaired with new metal. Also extended the mounts to match body and bumper.

rt-bullbar3.jpg

I have also changed the wheels to some early 90s 16 inch Wolfrace as they sit more flush, it drives better with these and are a bit more law friendly. Might do them black, not decided.

bullbar-rt1.jpg

Whilst the grille was off, modded the intercooler a bit more as I was not happy with the small ID of the inlet pipe, and fitted some better horns. Other than that, I bought an 84 4 door for spares so it now has a headlining, (albeit tatty) with rear speakers in it, I presume it is an aftermarket item, its made of fibreglass, and it now has a rear interior lamp, (I put a switch by the tailgate) screen has been changed to a laminated one and I've been putting in some more soundproofing too.

headlining2.jpg

headlining3.jpg

• 2 months later...