LEGS gearbox repair kits...

andyb

Andy,

My parcel arrived this am for the Series Box, I'll be opening it up later.

For me, there are quite a few things that matter when I buy stuff.

My initial enquiry E-Mail to LEGS via their E-Mail address on the website yielded a reply in about 10 mins.

(They use geuine parts whenever they can). At that point, I was fairly unfamilar with all of the things they would need to know so we batted notes forward and back for a while until I had the box fully stripped a few days ago. (With excellent help from my thread in the Series Forum).

I confirmed the full extend of the order on Wednesday and got a total price back pretty quickly. Phoned through payment details and the well wrapped parcel arrived on the door this morning (Saturday). I've just had enough time to make the box spanners for the fwd and aft castellated nuts ;)

So, so far - I'm very pleased and impressed. :)

I have bought a service exchange box lt77 200tdi disco box from them and within 5000 miles the second gear died, I took the vehicle back to them and insisted they correct it.

After nearly a week and several awquard phone calls they fixed the box trying to claim that I had been responsible for the failure.

They tried to get me to pay for the repair costs but backed down when I went to collect my vehicle.

This was approximately 3 years ago,I have since sold that gear box to a friend of mine who uses his disco for occasional play days only and has not had any problems.

I have to say that I have since used and recomended ashcroft transmissions on a couple of occasions since even though legs are relatively local to me.

Thanks Rob,

I have driven an Ashcroft recon LT77 and I was amazed that that gearbox would ever be so positive and taut!! .....not like the wizards sleeve that I've got in the Disco at the moment ;)

To clear up confusion....I have an old R380 on the floor of the workshop that I'd like to freshen up before doing a swap....funds are very limited hence not going for a recon box. Also a friend of mine has an R380 that is difficult/impossible to get into 2nd on a down shift and was asking me about rebuild kits. I see that Ashcroft do just the baulk rings.

Anyone with any further advice. :) Much appreciated :D

TIA

A rebuild of a R380 isn't difficult if you take your time and pay attention to detail. I've done 6/7 now, all have performed faultlessly and the gearshifts have been pretty taut. Parts came from Land Ranger Services, but the LEGS kits are considerably cheaper.

In addition to the parts in the overhaul kit, check for wear of the selector forks as these give a fairly lose feel to the shift. Check/set the endfloats of the gears as specified in the manual.

You'll need a deep reach socket to undo the nut on the back of the layshaft - 32mm I think (without checking).

IIRC, there are some notes in RAVE about component improvements in later R380's that would be worth reading first.

I was wondering if a DIY gearbox rebuild is a viable proposition. It looks as if a lot of people have done just that, so it is something that I'll consider for the future. I've never done a gearbox before, so it is something that I would like to tackle.

:)