None Starter

LDRover

Hi,

After some advise on a starting problem. Moved my (discovery 1993 auto) this morning half an hour later it would not start, also the alarm and central locking has stopped working. I have power to the starter relay and but no power the other side, have replaced the relay with 2 others, both are new but show the same problem. have checked the wire that goes from the relay to the starter and it has no breaks. Any ideas that I can try.

Thanks.

Sound like a "spider" problem. The spider is the immobiliser. Prone to dry joints etc. One of the circuits it immobilises is the starter.

I have the same problem intermittently.

Do a search on this forum for spider.

As a temporary fix you could hot wire the starter solenoid to the battery + terminal (with a fuse and switch of course)

Sound like a "spider" problem. The spider is the immobiliser. Prone to dry joints etc. One of the circuits it immobilises is the starter.

I have the same problem intermittently.

Do a search on this forum for spider.

As a temporary fix you could hot wire the starter solenoid to the battery + terminal (with a fuse and switch of course)

I thought that the "spider" was only on the face lifted discovery.

Thanks.

Yes - and then only on 1996 onwards vehicles with the two button alarm plip

And just to add to the confusion the 1996 model vehicles came out in 1995 so it's N reg on with the spider problems, but it's an Auto model and from what I have found out (correct me if I'm wrong) but all 1996 -> 300tdi Autos are EDC and they don't have the problematic spider anyway! :blink:

And just to add to the confusion the 1996 model vehicles came out in 1995 so it's N reg on with the spider problems, but it's an Auto model and from what I have found out (correct me if I'm wrong) but all 1996 -> 300tdi Autos are EDC and they don't have the problematic spider anyway! :blink:

1996 model year was what I meant... TA vin numbers onwards.

The circuitry that does what the spider box does is built into the alarm module on the EDC/Auto ones as far as I could work out. It is still possible to by-pass bits of it as I had to do it on mine. However none of this helps as it applies to the later models not the vehicle in question.

Pete.

True, we've gone off on a tangent!

but the spider being built into the alarm module isn't known for faults as it was with the standalone unit, I think it's down to position as the EDC one is behind the glove box, and part of a bigger more robust unit, the standalone spider is behind the heater controls where it changes temp quickly

True, we've gone off on a tangent!

but the spider being built into the alarm module isn't known for faults as it was with the standalone unit, I think it's down to position as the EDC one is behind the glove box, and part of a bigger more robust unit, the standalone spider is behind the heater controls where it changes temp quickly

Mine had classic Spider related intermittant non-starting issues (ie the starter motor would not spin, wait a few minutes and it would be fine, usually after long hill climb leading to a higher temperature) which ,after taking the dash apart and then discovering that the spider wasn't there, I traced to the relay inside the alarm unit that controls the starter relay (and fuel solenoid). I fixed mine by earthing two of the black/orange wires that go into the unit as that is what the unit should have been doing. The PCB in the unit had some really shoddy soldering (I am an electronics engineer so I know what soldering should look like) and several dry jonts on the afore mentioned relays. Ok so I might just have been un-lucky but I think the potential for the same hassles exist with the EDC ones as well.

Pete.

I had a non start on my last 200 and where the battery earth lead bolts to the drivers side inner wing it had corroded, would go with a jump but not on its own sometimes ok others dead.

Anyway cleaned it up and was ok from then on , 300 earth lead goes from the battery to inner wing then carries on to the engine.

Lynall

Stolen from another bit of this site!

As Fitz said, the fusible links are the problem. They are not visible though. From the battery there should be a large wire and then one slightly smaller wire/s. Follow these along the top of the inner wing, you'll need to remove the electrical tape from around them, as they're tied together and shielded. Each fusible link will have a plasticy style netting over them. get hold of each end of each of the links and tug. The blown one will stretch farther than the rest. Alternatively place a multi-meter probe at each end of the links, with the ignition on, the faulty one will show a voltage on it

Lynall

Have you checked the auto selector switch, it will only start in park,

Have you checked the coil with a meter?

How about the center pin in the Dizzy cap

When you turn on the ignition does the fuel pump prime?

I spent ages finding the fuel pump relay was faulty.

Just talking you through my replacement program! Good luck

Have you checked the auto selector switch, it will only start in park,

Have you checked the coil with a meter?

How about the center pin in the Dizzy cap

When you turn on the ignition does the fuel pump prime?

I spent ages finding the fuel pump relay was faulty.

Just talking you through my replacement program! Good luck

Not sure how much that will help as the vehicle is a 200TDi not a V8. ;)

Pete

There is no spider fitted to it, but have checked the fused links tonight and one has been repaired in the past. It is to short to do anything with so I have got to try and get another one. The other three do not look to good so will clean them all and solder the joints. Hope this will do the trick.