Freelander 1 HGF - Romania, 2008

viorelluta

Hi All,

Yes we do have Feeelanders here in Romania, and yes - the 1,8 K engine has the same HGF problem.

I have read most of the messages posted on related topics, and I would like to ask you:

After the introduction of the "latest" head gasket (the multi-layered one), was the failure rate decresing or not??

My story, shortly:

I have bought (early 2007) an used Freelander 1,8i, from the BMW official importer in Romania (they sell both used and new LRs). The car was manufactured in 2003, having only 53,000 km (about 36k miles). Unlike in UK, the used Freelanders are expensive here, and most people are not aware about the problems they have. Anyway, in December 07, at 62k km, the head gasket blown. Fortunately it happened near to my home and not in the middle of nowhere (I use to go fishing with this car...) so it was not that expensive to carry the car to service.

The service replaced the gasket with the multilayered one, and of course some other parts (water pump, thermostat etc). I spent a lot of money (of course all parts cost triple here).

Anyway, I don't know what to do: to keep the car for some 1-2 years (the service guys told me that the HGF will not appear again before another 60-80k km), or to sell it as soon as possible?

This depends on your feedback, please let me know if there are any relevant data (or if you have experienced it before...) about the efficiency of the latest HG model.

Thank you

Viorel

All the info I've seen is that the updated HG and stiffener that bolts in the sump pretty much solve the problem. I'd just keep it, as long as you keep an eye on it you can avoid another HGF doing major damage.

I have asked them if they've replaced/modified anything else "inside" the engine, but except for the gasket (which they confirmed is the multilayer type) they have not, nor they heard about the "new bolts", or the steel dowels, or the lower rail. I can just hope that "pretty much" = "until I'll sell the car" :rolleyes:

How it happened to me: I was driving home from work and I noticed that the heating did not work (outside temp was minus 7-8 degrees Celsius). I thought the heating is broken somehow. THE ENGINE TEMP INDICATOR WAS AT "NORMAL" (mid range) ALL THE TIME. After 2-3 miles the engine started "coughing" and it stopped 5 minutes later (fortunately I was home). Then I saw no cooling liquid at all in the expansion bowl, and the oil was like mayo...

So it happened with no previous signs...

Thank you

Viorel

If they didn't do the rest of the work (new dowels etc.) then they have not done it properly, I would complain and either demand they put it right or ask for some money back.

The engines are used in Lotus & Caterham and on their forums they all use the Land Rover upgraded parts on their cars.

My daily driver for the last 4 years is a 1.8 rover 25 (same engine). I've done nearly 50000 miles in it and the headgeasket went about 20000 ago. I simply replaced it and I've had no further problems. I didnt change the ladder frame in the sump as it wasnt available at the time.

2003 model cars should have had the steel dowels anyway as these became standard from about 2001 onwards.

You do NOT need to change the head bolts as a matter of course. There is a procedure in the manual for checking the bolts that should be followed and then they only need replacing if they fail this test.

There is a modification on the freelanders that moves the thermostat to the other side of the engine. This should have been carried out to your car. There is a landrover technical bulletin that covers this and the modified parts kit is available from landrover.

HTH

Jon

Thank you all!

I will keep the car until next serious problem.

I have programmed a drive test with Freelander 2, though.

Here the cheapest LRF 2 is 31k Euros (diesel, no Terrain Response, all taxes included). For the next level you have to pay about 35k.

How much is in UK?

I'm right in the middle of doing the head gasket on a 1.8i Freelander and I can confirm that apart from Land Rover parts suppliers, you only get an MLS gasket, the shim to prevent fire ring indentation of the head face, and two steel dowels.

Will post a picture later today of what you get.

Les.