uphill power loss TD5

:angry: Can someone please help! I have a 2003 TD5 130 defender, and i am having severe power loss issues at the moment. under normal flat driving conditions,power is fine, but throw in a slight incline, and there is a very definite loss of power. the dealership, have run a diagnostc program over the poor girl, and have come up with a horrific cost to rectify the cause. recomended replacement of

ECU

injector wiring loom

engine loom

cam cover gasket

total cost over $3000 australian dollars, expencive in any language,

any suggestions welcome

Thanks Mike_4x4xlandie

In other words they probably don't have a clue :rolleyes:

Airflow meter is one possibility, fuel pump on the way out is another, EGR is another but likely to occur anywhere and will cause clouds of black smoke. Injector harness causes a misfire too, but cheap to replace (£40 approx) and may be worth doing.

In other words they probably don't have a clue :rolleyes:

Airflow meter is one possibility, fuel pump on the way out is another, EGR is another but likely to occur anywhere and will cause clouds of black smoke. Injector harness causes a misfire too, but cheap to replace (£40 approx) and may be worth doing.

;) happy to say no black smoke, also another land rover fan has also suggested replacing the injector harness, it sounds like a good place to start. :)

Yeah thats what I thought, but it's supposed to have been rectified by better sealing long before the 2003 model. Like Bogmonster said, start with the injector harness, it's relatively cheap and you could do it yourself. LR themselves quoted it as the fix to the oil in the harnesses problem, having rejigged the part with better sealing. Washing out the ECU connector with a solvent will suffice at the other end. All presuming that it is oil in the loom.

If you get under your driver seat, pull the red connector off the ECU. If you can see oil then...

Yeah thats what I thought, but it's supposed to have been rectified by better sealing long before the 2003 model.

My 04 suffered at new-year. While there was oil in the wires the actual problem turned out to be the fuel pump.

When I replaced the engine harness I took advice supplied by another forum member in another post and deliberately destroyed the seal on the wiring loom plug so that in future any oil managing to leave the head through the injector loom 'socket' will drain through the damaged seal rather than being forced by crank case pressure down the wires to the ECU.

Chris

it's supposed to have been rectified by better sealing long before the 2003 model

Yeah and door seals are supposed to keep water out :)

All Td5's (can) suffer from it, whatever anybody says to the contrary. The new ones just do it a bit less.

Ah FFS, I only put my new one in last week. Err so do you mean destroy the seal so that if oil gets squeezed out it goes on the engine rather then down the loom?

And there was I getting all Hylomar Blue on the seal just for good measure. Ah I suppose I haven't nailed the rocker cover down yet so maybe I'll take your advice under consideration :D

Ah FFS, I only put my new one in last week. Err so do you mean destroy the seal so that if oil gets squeezed out it goes on the engine rather then down the loom?

And there was I getting all Hylomar Blue on the seal just for good measure. Ah I suppose I haven't nailed the rocker cover down yet so maybe I'll take your advice under consideration :D

No need to remove the rocker cover. Just unplug the wiring loom from the front of the head and destroy the seal in the plug on the end of the wire that goes to the ECU. It will take about 2 minutes. You are not after letting oil out of the head but allowing oil out of the plug if the oil should get past the "improved" seals in the new injector harness. You can see the offending seal here, the pale blue bit:

post-209-1200990956_thumb.jpg

HTH

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just to give you all an update on how things have turned out, the problem was traced even further by a true and honest :lol: dealer, turns out that of all things

injector loom did need replacing (due to too much oil leaking into the electrics

E C U does NOT need replacing along with the engine wiring loom

gasket was replaced any how

THE BIGGEST SHOCKER the Catalytic converter had collapsed, causing too much back pressure therefore loss of power :o

problem now fixed So a big thanks to all that answered my question as the answers helped me prompt someone to look further than replacing more than required electrics :lol:

thanks Mike