In the wing or outside the wing...?

bishbosh

Bish,

shouldn't the screen hoop be one continuous piece? I can offer no evidence as to why other than that pretty much every cage I have ever seen has the front hoop as jus that - a hoop. your design seems to have two side rails and two bars welded accross to form the front hoop.

Not picking holes, and you are the structural engineer after all, just curious.

Mark

Opinions are what I asked for Mark so no offence taken! ;)

I am more interested in the B pillar hoop being sound - that is the one that will save your bacon if it all goes badly wrong. The front hoop on a RR ldoesn't look right IMHO if it is a hoop in the defender style - the top corner radii are too big for the shape of the RR and don't work. Take a look on the P&P website - there are some interesting examples on there.

Plenty of RR / Disco cages have the tube arrangement I am proposing so I am happy with that. As long as the welding is sound then it should be as strong (ish) as a continuous tube. It also lends itself better to having an "X" in the roof as the A pillar tube continues right to the top instead of curving away into a bend.

Just to clear things up, they only bit I am unsure of is the bottom of the A pillar tube - should be outside the wing or inside the wing. Never fear Bob, the rest of the cage will be outside to fend off those pesky trees!!

Something like this:

post-121-1201336116_thumb.jpg

So will the front hoop (top half) be smaller than the body silhouette if so it wont provide much A piler protection

Also my thinking was reaffirmed when You commented on my build about how important a bottom rail for the front hoop was.

If that is not on show, where will it be?

if it is on show (toast rack according to some) why hide the legs and loose the extra protection

example below where the cage is not attached to the chassis & no bottom rail.

Has some form of wing bars (but nothing substantial bracing them ) this is prone to and receives some body damage

Of course this is just my view point based on my reason for needing a protective cage with my driving style :mellow:

:

post-892-1201356176_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, having had an absolute mare with the steel I bought - turned out to be Indian and wouldn't bend without folding up, I bit the bullet and ordered a front hoop and B pillar hoop from P&P.

Decided to go in the wings. I shall add wing bars to protect the bodywork.

Whilst I didn't really want a radiused top corner to the windscreen hoop, in the end I thought it was the ony way I would manage to move this project forwards! An added bonus is both hoops will be CDS.

I have to say that Kim and Dave at P&P have been fantastic as I have asked a 1001 questions over the last few weeks and always had informed and prompt replies.

Will post some pics when the goodies turn up.