What tyre package for £500?

Hi all, my 130 tipper has 7.50s on at the moment and i would like to beef it up a bit so what wheel and tyre package would be best for the money?(£500).

I could keep the wheels that are with it and just do the tyres if that helps.

I am a tree surgeon so Mud pattern would be preferable.

Many thanks

Ed.

BFG in my experience without a doubt and rim wise for £35 ish you can get Wolf rims (the military ones) very strong, good caliper protection and look good with decent a decent off set so steering lock isint lost, but no so much of an offset so as to put extra strain on the drivetrain.

tyre size wise, if the 130 would pull them i would go for 255/85 R16 about 33" high tyre. you currently have 31" height so will gain an extra 1" under the diffs. with the extra 2" overall height you raise the gearing a little (10%) so acceleration will be slower but a comparison cruising speed will be slightly lower revs. the problem will be the cost - £135 a corner min at the moment so if you wanted new the budget has gone! (or get 4 but then the spare will be too small)

255/85s these will just fit on a 6.5J Wolf rim width wise.

you wont need to trim the front arches for them - rears on a tipper - no need.

If you dont think the tipper will pull the extra dia tyres then stick with the metric equivalent tyres for height 235/85R16 or 265/75R16 and i personally would only go for BFG - if you stayed with the smaller tyres you can use your current 7.50 as a spare.

Second hand 255/85s do come up ebay etc - Victor had a set for £250 - with 50 miles on them! but they are quite sort after now.

Ok James thank you. the BFGs do sound the most favoued tyre out there. Will the 255/85 fit the 8 spokes i have at the moment? I like the wolf rims but not sure where to get them from.

I think the 130 will pull them and i dont think i will notice the lack of acceleration in her anyway. not when full of chipping etc. :lol:

Is there a forum prferred supplier or should i just shop around?

Ok James thank you. the BFGs do sound the most favoued tyre out there. Will the 255/85 fit the 8 spokes i have at the moment? I like the wolf rims but not sure where to get them from.

I think the 130 will pull them and i dont think i will notice the lack of acceleration in her anyway. not when full of chipping etc. :lol:

I'd go for 265/75/16 it will let you keep a 7.50 as a space saving spare, you don't want to make your spare any bigger as your struggling to stow it now. I run bfg MT and wouldn't swap for owt in our line of work they are the best. They stick like glue even when towing on wet roads. I'd give your local ATS a bell they are very competitive around here for BFG

Just shop around all the usual suppliers to get the best price, you should be able to play them off one another.

Make sure you get genuine BFG MT's and not a remould lookalike.

The genuine tyre costs more (but is still not expensive when compared to car or motorcycle tyres) but grips well and has good handling and wear characteristics, the genuine item will out last the remould by three or four times.

My BFG AT's have now covered over 40K miles and are only just half worn yet this isn't because they are made of a hard compound, the grip & ride they give on the tarmac is amazing.

I found my local type supplier matched the price of the online places, plus you save on shipping and get them fitted.

I looked for wolf rims for ages till I found a genuine ex-RUC set.

Paddocks do pattern copies of wolf rims. Make sure you get tubeless rims to match your BFGs.

Foleys normally have some Wolf rims.

i wouldnt buy pattern i would only buy original ones, (rims and tyres) you can get tubless and tubed ones.

its not just pulling power, with the higher side wall you will also get more flex in them under cornering. having typed that cant say i really notice it in mine but then its not loaded with logs towing a chipper - WCS?

best bet try ATS although expect £99 + VAT or in region of.

dont craddocks do wolf rims as well?

GBMUD just got some rims not sure where from though, expect he will be along soon

Ok James thank you. the BFGs do sound the most favoued tyre out there. Will the 255/85 fit the 8 spokes i have at the moment?

if they are 16" then yes i believe they will - good offset on eight spokes but little caliper protection.

Thank you, i will try my local tyre guy tomorrow then. As Matt said the 265 might be better as the spare will be useful.

So easy to buy stuff for these vehicles though hey? best i get off line or it may get expensive.

Thanks all, i will post pics of my progress.

Ed.