Standard suspension height?

Hi

Can someone please tell me what the standard distance between the centre of the drive flange to the underneath/edge of the arches is on a standard 90front and rear?? (unless theres a better way to measure it?)

I have an ex military 90 that Ive fitted a winch etc etc too and want to know how much its dropped at the moment so I can decide whether to just go for heavy duty standard height or raise it etc

Cheers

Ben

HI

A STD DEFENDER FRONT SPRING HIGHT IS 260MM THAT IS THE TOTAL LENGTH OF THE SPRING

WHEN THE VEHICLE IS SAT ON LEVEL GROUND, I ALWAYS MEASURE DRIVERS SIDE REAR OF FRONT

SPRING, FROM THAT YOU CAN WORK OUT WHAT LIFT OR HOW MUTCH IT HAS SUNK BY.

ON THE REAR IT IS AROUND 300MM + OR SO

HOPE THAT WILL HELP

GWYN

Edited by western
Please don't shout, it's note forum friendly.

Hi Gwyn

Thanks for that, just been out and measured and its sitting spot on 260mm at the moment (thats with the tubular bumper and an 8274 up front - although theres no rope or fairlead yet, but synthetic shouldnt make any difference I wouldnt think) only thing I can think is that being ex military it had heavier duty springs anyway (and Ive swapped the NAD for a 200tdi and removed the spare wheel from the bonnet so perhaps weight wise its about the same?!)

Didnt measure the rear but it sits as near to level front to back as its going to get I think!

Just seems a little low to me so may go for a 2" lift, thinking of going for a challenge kit at some stage with OME springs etc.. I dont really want to change the way it handles on the road too much though as the ride is nice at the moment.

So far:

DSCF0003-1.jpg

Cheers

Ben

That's reassuring Gwyn :)

From my notes when I last looked at this:

I've yet to get authoritative 'standard height' compressed lengths but 10-10.5 inches front and 11-12 inches rear is the best estimate I've got so far

Ben, looks pretty level to me & just about got a purposefull look without to much effort, if your thinking of Old Man Emu springs, talk to Chris Bashall at Surrey off-road, work out the weight of the winch/bumper/Tdi engine & how much you are likely to carry in the back, with this info he'll be able to advise on the best springs to fit to give you decent axle travel & decent road handling. worked for my heavy 110 :D

Cool thanks :-)

Yep it sits pretty perfectly level really (back is fairly loaded up at the mo too)

Yeah its coming along, still on the look out for a set of wolfs for it to replace those nasty 8 spokes, apart from that and needing paint its almost there really (needs a new passenger door bottom too - will a series door fit??)

Everything I touch at the mo seems to break and need replacing! - managed to shear a bolt trying to remove a rear driveflange tonight so thats going to be a pain to sort I would think (wanted to double check if it had 11 or 24 spline rear shafts it says HD on the outer end of the driveshafts does this mean anything ie heavy duty or is it just a coincidece do you think :-) broke a front caliper at the weekend, so now looking to stick a pair of later axles under there to get discs on the back etc and hopefully better calipers with less corrosion!... just dont want to put something on thats going to be weaker...

Cheers

Ben