Oil in Air Filter Canister

Hi,

First post so please bear with me!...I've done a search, but none the wiser!

I brought a Land Rover Defender 90 (1989)2.5TD a few Months back.

Everything as been going fine, until I did a service (noticed a bit of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust every so often).

Anyways, I opened the air filter canister and found oil in there. Now to me oil shouldn't be in my air filter. I noticed I have a breather pipe running from the oil filler cap to the canister. This seems to be where the oil is coming from. I cleaned it all up and put a new air filter in (this in turn stopped the smoke...for a bit).

However, today I checked the air filter again (due to me noticing smoke again), and the oil as returned to the air filter canister!

Is my engine on its way out?...Why does the breather pipe go to my air filter? Can't I use something like this instead of connecting it straight to the canister? http://www.roadraceengineering.com/instructions/br...

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Your link isn't working.

Oil in the air filter is either the engine breathing too much due to compression loss through worn rings, cracked piston, too much oil in the engine, or the turbo seal blown and pushing oil into the pipework. These engines are prone to this sort of thing I'm afraid.

Les.

Yea Les is right, it's your engine thats worn. My old 2.5 N/A use to breath heavily. Just do as ash says and leave it but do keep an eye on it. It can and will at some point get so bad that one day it will run simply on it's own oil feed and not derv, it'll rev it's nuts off and probably blow the engine. Dont worry too much though because it will have to be in v bad way to do this. You mite want to consider doing an engine change for a Discovery 200tdi engine, you'll get loads more power + economy and it can be done on you driveway with a modest set of tools and experience for around £500 - £600.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Easiest thing for now is just to disconnect the breather pipe from the canister and secure it so it drips some anti-rust lotion on your chassis, rather than constantly clogging up your air filter. Not an engineering solution but a very common one.

Easiest thing for now is just to disconnect the breather pipe from the canister and secure it so it drips some anti-rust lotion on your chassis, rather than constantly clogging up your air filter. Not an engineering solution but a very common one.

better to reroute it into a seperate canister to catch any oil blown out, just letting it drip onto the chassis/raod surface is just inviting trouble from the law or enviromental officers & could cause another road user to crash.