110 as 90

ok this is my first post and must say great site but i have a big/small problem i'll let you decide after i have recently finished the rebuild of my 110 using a 90 galvinised chassis and was wondering if anyone else has been stupid enough to do the same there was no worry when the rebuild was taking place as i thought it was a simple case of changing the wheelbase size on the log book just like a colour change (idiot i know you dont have to mutter it)how wrong i was, just had a look at dvla website now to my horror it looks like it may have to go on a Q plate with all kinds of messin about i cant afford the time or money to do it any more you cant even put a private one on Qs and before anyone replys i know i should of saved up more money for the 110 chassis but the lannie impatience bug got me to do it. not to say the missus would not allow another penny spent on it after living on bread and water for months to be honest i prefer the 90 but for all the headache time and money i am starting to wish i never done anythin at all to my trusty 110, "i miss her"well thats all for now wish i found this place sooner.

Have you thought of finding a very crusty 90 and rebuilding that with your 90 chassis...

You are allowed to use like for like parts, it does not have to be the original engine etc so maybe you could put the 90 ID on your creation that is apparently a 90.

Guest diesel_jim

I did exactly the same thing a few years back.... stripped a 110, got a 9 chassis, stamped the 110 VIN into the 90, then sent the logbook off asking the DVLA to change it to "90"

the got back in touch with me, in the end i had to get it SVA'd (which was a doddle as i'd built it as more or less a factory 90, so it flew through the test) and it got issued with a Q plate.

Thats not the story he's putting out on this thread http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f7/scrapper-90-a-51675.html

Blimey, the spelling and grammar over there makes this place look positivity intellectual!

Sounds to me like a straight choice between:

1. doing the job properly on a new 110 chassis. It would not take that long and all the other spending is already done. Then doing the same to a 90 to recovers costs. Results in a legal car - and a 90 to appease the wife...

2. going through an SVA test. Should pretty much pass straight away and results in a legal car.

3. buying/obtaining another car's ID and making a ringer. The upside is it is easy. The down side of this is the car could be crushed if discovered and it is illegal.

Chris

3. buying/obtaining another car's ID and making a ringer. The upside is it is easy. The down side of this is the car could be crushed if discovered and it is illegal.

Just to ask...

If you rebuilt an old 90 using a galvanised chassis and parts from a later 300Tdi (for example) would this be a ringer?

Asking due to a future project which would mean redoing an an '84 90 with a new chassis and running gear from a newer model. I was under the impression you could use like-for-like more modern parts, such as buying a write off (for the parts only) and using all the running gear as it's still 90 stuff... which would mean practically nothing of the old car is left so it's a complete rebuild/update.

Richard

Guest diesel_jim
Just to ask...

If you rebuilt an old 90 using a galvanised chassis and parts from a later 300Tdi (for example) would this be a ringer?

Asking due to a future project which would mean redoing an an '84 90 with a new chassis and running gear from a newer model. I was under the impression you could use like-for-like more modern parts, such as buying a write off (for the parts only) and using all the running gear as it's still 90 stuff... which would mean practically nothing of the old car is left so it's a complete rebuild/update.

Richard

Thats more or less what i did on my project90, when i chatted to the DVLA inspector when he came out (Several times) during the build up, and he said (off the record) that the DVLA wern't really tha interested in people doing projects like mentioned here, but they were more interested in people building something like a Td5/300Tdi disk braked PAS equipped vehicle on a 1965 series 2 tax exempt chassis.... it was the tax thing they look out for.

Just to ask...

Richard

Like a lot of people on here I am not wholly clear. I do know that changing the ID of one car for that of another is ringing, where the line is drawn I do not know. Using like for like parts is OK. Changing a few parts is OK too, within the points system that DVLA/VOSA use.

Chris

Chris

To retain the vehicle's identity you have to use the original unmodified chassis (or a new chassis the same specification as the original, complete with supporting evidence from the manufacturer), plus two major components from the original vehicle (suspension, steering, axles, engine and transmission).

If you use a second hand chassis or are stupid enough to inform them that you haven't used two major components from the original vehicle you'll have to put it through an SVA test and you'll get a Q-plate.

The DVLA don't even know how to interpret and apply their own rules (they confuse themselves over the monocoque vs. separate body/chassis issue), so you have to be careful and never divulge too much information before you know exactly where you stand.

Mike

I have a nice 110 chassis looking for a good home !

That would mean you could get the extra inches your looking for (ooer missus)

"nice" can i have more details please? like how much your after? if thats the case i have nice 90 galvi one if you know anyone for it? thanks al