poor starting

rooferboy03

I've just developed a starting problem with the beast, i think the first time it happened it had run out of petrol (der!!!!). I put some fuel in from a can and with a bit of winding over eventually got it going.She started ok this morning but having parked up for half hour again she wouldn't start again. put some more fuel in and away she went again, went to the garage and put another 20 quid in and all seemed fine. picked up the kids from school and again it wouldnt start for while, eventually got it going and drove home, I've just been out to start her up and had to keep winding for ages for her to start.

Once started she seems fine,but when left for any length of time it seems to take ages for her to start.

To get to the point my question is, has anyone had the same problem after running out of fuel. i wondered if there was perhaps an air lock or something in the system and perhaps some sort of unique problem to the RR fuel system

Thanx in anticipation :angry:

You say you think it had run out of petrol the first time it started. This may be co-incidental in that it was low on fuel but not empty.

What year? Flapper or Hot Wire?

If either type of fuel injection system it is possible the coolant temperature sensor for the ECU (not the one connected with a single wire to the stat housing) is registering too low resitance which will result in a leaner mixture. These are reported to be troublesome

New developement today, she wont start at all. Fuel is there as i undone the union at the fuel regulator and switched on the ignition and the fuel pumped out ok. Then i took out one of the spark plugs expecting it to be wet but it was bone dry! Earted the plug against the engine and cranked over again NO SPARK!!!

What is the problem, does anybody know or had the same experience.

thanx

New developement today, she wont start at all. Fuel is there as i undone the union at the fuel regulator and switched on the ignition and the fuel pumped out ok. Then i took out one of the spark plugs expecting it to be wet but it was bone dry! Earted the plug against the engine and cranked over again NO SPARK!!!

What is the problem, does anybody know or had the same experience.

thanx

Why no spark then? Is it common for the filter to block up then? Thanx PS where is the fuel filter because i have a new one in the garage

Starting at the potential single point of failure, the flywheel sensor (on the passenger side of the engine block, at the back, at the bottom, pointing backwards towards the flywheel) tells the ECU the engine is turning so it can make sparks / fire the injectors. If this is isn't giving a signal the ECU will sit there and do nothing.

Mods - isn't it about time we had a sticky on "my V8 won't start / runs badly" as every other question on this board seems to involve the same thing :rolleyes:

You should get a small AC voltage from it when cranking which increases with engine speed. Expect no more than a volt when cranking, they can hit 400v on some vehicles at high RPMs. It's just a magnetic coil that reacts to the flywheel whizzing past it.

I,m sorry for being a "chelsea tractor" owner but i love it i dooo. Thanks for the info on the flywheel sensor. I take it that this is a common problem then?

Dunno about common, it's the first thing that sprung to mind and they're not hard to swap out - although I have a feeling they may not be cheap from the dealers :( my setup uses a Ford one.

Generally with these kinds of problems unless you have a dealer with a testbook to hand you want to start with easily done / cheap things before working up to expensive things.

Mods - isn't it about time we had a sticky on "my V8 won't start / runs badly" as every other question on this board seems to involve the same thing :rolleyes:

I noticed that too. Since a couple of months before xmas there have been one or two a week at times!

Tell you what F-F: If you want to have a gander at the q's & a's for worthy threads, let me have a list and I'll happily sort them and then sticky them at the top.

• 3 weeks later...