Top tailgate gas struts

Jon White

I'm getting fed up with my top tailgate smacking me on the back of the head every time the gas struts decide not to hold the tailgate up so its time for a new pair.

There's someone on ebay selling them for £5 a pair, or paddocks do them for £5 each.

Anyone tried either of these sources as they almost seem too cheap!!! Anyone know if they're of reasonable quality?

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jon,

I replaced mine with Paddocks ones a few years back. No problems with them. A new issue that's just occured is the tabs they connect to on the upper tailgate have started to shear off. Think this is wear related though and no problem to do with the struts.

Cheers

Ell

i found a dumped fruit machine in the woods and that had gas struts on the lid, to my surprise, perfect fit on my early rangie, slightly longer than original, the tailgate goes up further when open. haven't decided what parts of the car to operate with the handful of buttons i got from that machine yet!

Shiney new pair purchased from Gotties this afternoon - sorted.

Sodding air suspension seems to have sprung a leak now cos it ends up leaning like a beached irish ferry after its been parked for about 10 minutes! That set of coils I've got in the garden is looking tempting.........

Cheers

Jon