Another Schoolboy Question

Morning

When the engine's cold, should the oil level be exactly on, or just below the notch on the dipstick?

And how far below that should you worry about a lack of oil causing wear/damage/famine/crisis?

Cheers!

Dipstick-Jon

When the vehicle is cold, and on level ground the oil level should be on or just below the max level. It should never be over the max level notch. The oil level should never fall below the min level unless the engine is not settled, otherwise you are likely to be starting to do damage.

That is, presuming you are using the correct dipstick. Extending a dipstick etc does not mean that less oil is required ;)

Hope this helps

Guest wunntenn

A word of caution fellow dipstickers.............the dipstick tube on a TDi has a brass olive around it which seals into the engine block. Over time with vibration and general use this olive will happily 'wander' UP the tube around which it is comfortably sat, and because it is going UP, the actual dipstick, assembly including the dipstick, goes DOWN. So after a while although your dipper shows 'Normal' you may actually have 1, 2 or even 3 litres LESS oil in the sump than you think from divining the wet mark on the end of the stick. I have had this problem, and have heard of engines with only 2L of oil in them but the dipstick showing FULL. You have been warned!

Just wondering what damage too much oil can cause?!

Mine (200tdi) is running on the max line at the moment. (dont remember filling it up that much!, only thing I can think is that I didnt let it settle enough before checking when I did the oil and filter change (about 50 miles ago)

I'll be taking the head off soon anyway (exhaust manifold leaking and previous owner must have decided to just tighten the nut up at that end which has stripped the thread in the head that the stud goes into) so is there anything I should look for!!

Think I will drain a litre out when I get home anyway!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
A word of caution fellow dipstickers.............the dipstick tube on a TDi has a brass olive around it which seals into the engine block. Over time with vibration and general use this olive will happily 'wander' UP the tube around which it is comfortably sat, and because it is going UP, the actual dipstick, assembly including the dipstick, goes DOWN. So after a while although your dipper shows 'Normal' you may actually have 1, 2 or even 3 litres LESS oil in the sump than you think from divining the wet mark on the end of the stick. I have had this problem, and have heard of engines with only 2L of oil in them but the dipstick showing FULL. You have been warned!

Looks like I've got this problem with mine... set out for Minehead in Somerset from Kent earlier tonight, checked the oil level before I left and it was at max (a little odd I thought at the time as I've not had to top it up in a while and any engine uses some oil over time eh?). By the time I'd got to Godstone on the M25 I was certain all wasn't well oil levelwise as the engine just sounded 'wrong'... stopped to check the dipstick again and surprise surprise, still full. Hmmm... vaguely remembered seeing this post so pulled the dipstick tube up, only felt like 5mm of movement, but that equated to being on the low mark instead of the full mark on the dipstick when I pulled it while holding the tube - added a litre of oil and all now seems well.

Question - how to reseat and attach the dipstick tube in it's correct position? Is it simply a case of pull the tube back up as far as it will go and tighten it back up - or should I be doing something more 'complex' with it?

Noticed a fist sized shape and depth dent in the sump too (no idea how that got there and don't remember a broken hand) - new sump or can I get away with LRT001 to bash it out with as I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment?

Cheers,

Guest wunntenn

Adz - for all they cost I'd fit a nice shiny new one for £5 and be sure its correct. Or if its that too tight on your budget, get a friendly parts man to let you put your old dipper beside the new one to get the exact location of the olive and adjust yours to match.

Too much oil in an engine can cause the crank seals to be pushed out, oil to pump out of the dipstick tube, oil into the air pipes (which could cause the engine to run away), or in extreme cases break the engine (similar to hydro-locking, but from the inside). There must be enough air inside the sump to allow for the displacement of the pistons.

Les.

Years ago I was taught to check the oil level in an engine while it was hot. That meant that the oil a still in the oil galleries and bearings... Not high in the sump. Yes also just below the high mark.

mike

Mike, that's the method I use when checking oil levels, always at operating temperature.

This was something my father taught me and he served in the R.E.M.E. for 20 years. I've used this way of checking oil levels for over 30 years on the numerous (4 stroke) bikes and cars I've owned. I am pleased to say its worked for me.

Regarding the TDi dipstick olive wandering around! Thanks for that good advice there wunntenn and I'll be checking the integrity of my TDi's dipstick as a matter of urgency.