Clunk from back of 90

My TD5 90 has developed a clunk which appears to come from the back when I pull away from stopped.

It woulds a bit like something letting go which has compressed - i.e. a middle pitched muted single clunk (with slight resonance to the noise). Then nothing until I pull away again. Oh why are noises so difficut to describe!!!).

Any ideas what I might need to look at, and whether it needs attention.

I am fully prepared (expectiong :rolleyes:) to be told that this is a normal Defender noise!

Martin

hand brakes make lots of peculiar nosies; make sure it isn't that first.

Then looks at all your bushes, especially on the A frame.

Check the rear prop is tight and UJs are ok.

Look at the the drive members, these are a known weak point.

hand brakes make lots of peculiar nosies; make sure it isn't that first.

Hand brake is off when it happens. It is so bl****dy awkward I don't tend to use it much when driving.

If it is any of the above, does it need looking at now, or is is leavable 'till I get some time?

Martin

Wot kinda milage has it done ?

Wot age ?

Rear clonks are most likely to be:

1) Rear diff leaked all its oil causing excessive wear

2) UJ which can be checked by grabbing hold of it and shaking it up un down to see if it moves at both joints.

3) Half shaft spline wear. This can sometime be felt on the diff with the prop removed, and sometimes requires the shaft end cover things to be removed.

In order of likelyness ... 2 , 3, 1.

Hand brake is off when it happens. It is so bl****dy awkward I don't tend to use it much when driving.

If it is any of the above, does it need looking at now, or is is leavable 'till I get some time?

Even with the hand brake off, it can still make odd noises if the whatchama-call-it .....<thinks>... expander thingy (slow day today) has moved or a duff spring is allowing the shoes to contact the drum.

Bushes can probably be left for a while.

If a UJ gives up while you're barreling down the road, you'll have wished you looked at it sooner :o It's worth spending 5 minutes looking at them.

The drive members wear more than the halfshafts, eventually leaving you with no drive to the rear axle. The splines of the half shafts can ended up a bit twisted though.

A frame looks and feels solid with a waggle by hand. No obvious play - but with 2 t on it I would not expect to move it by hand. Any ideas on how to check further?

The prop shaft and UJs are solid.

Would some dirt in the system cause this noise? After my crawl underneath today I gave it a good clean with the pressure washer and it has reduced (but not eliminated) the occurrence.

Martin

Seriously sounds like what my series 2 sounded like when i snapped the halfshaft. I pulled away making a craunching noise then a clunk and carried on 3/4 of my way on a 13 mile journey until i hit a big hill and slowed down, to find i no longer had any drive and couldnt pull away again. basically I'd snapped the shaft and spent best part of 10 miles rounding off the sheered end.