brown pants and peanut butter

jas97disco

Just had a brown pants moment in the disco this evening(300tdi)...

Driving along and suddenly an odd squealing noise, then lost the power steering (heavy) for 20 seconds then it came back.

On lifting the bonnet noticed that the top of the black plastic core plug on top of the thermostat housing has sheered off so cooling system is not pressurised. Also lost coolant as I had to put about 3 ltrs back into the expansion tank.

I was looking at a post on this forum about puddles causing the 300tdi power steering to go heavy so my thinking is that maybe its the coolant getting all over the drive belt and made it slip and hence not driving the power steering pump.

I'll have a proper look tomorrow but any details of similar experiences/ theories gratefully received.

PS tried the 'peanut butter on the bumpers' thing and they came up really well!- much better than the Armorall stuff.

Your original post brought back a similar memory. Blasting along an B road (I think) when I was last in Old Blighty, (as best as a series II Carawagon can 'blast') and I came upon a slow vehicle at one of those moments where you either go NOW to overtake and use the momentum you have taken about 2 miles to build up or stab the brakes and lose it pretty much for good. I, being the adventurous type took the opportunity and stabbed the throttle to go since the overtaking zone was short, just as I moved about half way out of my lane a lorry appeared from around the next bend putting an abrupt end to my perfect plan. However, when I stabbed the brakes the front left wheel cylinder did something rather unexpected, that wheel locked up. It had NEVER done that before and you can guess what that did to the steering, giving myself and the lorry driver a moment neither of us will ever forget by pulling me right out in front of him. I managed to let off and just get back into my lane without involving bodywork contact but just. I looked the next day for my tire marks and whilst the one streak was visible, it wasn't very impressive. It certainly was at the time, and at least 'that' mark was black......

That 66 series II was probably my worst regret ever for selling. Many vehicles come and go but that one had more character than anything I've ever had......

I did a similar one, had an oil leak onto the shoes which seemed to make them much more "grabby" than usual, coming round a local big roundabout alongside an SJ, a fiesta decided to pull out on both of us without looking. We both braked, I locked up making a fantastic screech (I was on some terrible old crossplies at the time I think, they made a good noise anyway!) and both of us lent on our horns. I suspect the fiesta driver got the message :hysterical: