Brake discs replace/upgrade

Dikiy

Hi All!

I am about to change all the brake discs on my Disco, and I want ask what do the learned forum members recommend?

I select some variants:

Paddock Performance Slotted and Drilled

EBC Turbo Grooved Front Brake Discs This discs are the same what Bearmach sell. Am I right?

Or buy the cheap alternative discs and drill them by myself?

Brake Disc - front - non vented - Replacement

or this

Brake Disc - front - non vented - Lockheed

What is the best/ effective / justify the price for off road use?

Thank Your for friendly advice!

i would have thought that drilled discs wouldn't be that much of a good idea for off road use as they carp could get stuck between the holes?

drilling discs is a bit of a no no unless you know what you are doing due to the risk of cracking and destroying themselves.

grooved discs may be a better idea as the grooves help to disperse heat as well as wipe the surface of the pads clean.

someone else will probably know more about it, but that's my reasoning :)

For pure off road use, I would avoid drilled or grooved pads, and go for solids... The grooves and the holes all hold mud and carp, which acts like grinding paste which wears the pads down a lot quicker.

just my 2p..

I wouldn't drill them yourself unless you know what you are doing, you could be setting yourself up for a fatigue failure...

I bought a set of the Paddockes drilled and grooved dscs recently and they came in a box from a TUV approved German supplier, so they should be fine...

for 100% off road use i'd go for the standard lockheed items, with no grooves or holes...

Why do you feel the need to upgrade your brakes?

If you have a standard Disco then I would suggest standard discs and pads are more than adequate. I would suggest buying Lockheed rather than no name items.

If you do a lot of heavy towing and / or drive in hilly areas a lot then perhaps uprated brakes are warranted, but as said above, drilled discs are not a good idea if you drive off road.

My friend is a very good mechanic did drilled discs by himself scores of times on the different cars. By the way He drive his car (not 4x4) with home made drilled discs more then 150000km without any problems. But OK, leave this, I don't like this way too. Forget.

What about Paddock drilled, EBC grooved or Lockheed without modification? Now I have front vented and rear nonvented. I'm running my Disco like as MT tires 80/20 and 70% off-road usage is clay-snow-covered mountain drive and other part is a bog. That why I want to go with front/rear nonvented discs and probably grooved.

If you have vented discs already then you will have to adjust your calipers for solid discs as they are narrower.

I have vented front discs on the RR and they do not suffer off road as the mud in the vents is very quickly dried out from the heat of braking and it then falls out of the holes.

You also have vented discs on the front because you need them.

Go for Lockheed vented front discs and Lockheed solid rear discs.

If you have vented discs already then you will have to adjust your calipers for solid discs as they are narrower.

Yes I know. There is no any problem to do this.

Go for Lockheed vented front discs and Lockheed solid rear discs.

This is very easy and simple solution for me :rolleyes:

Yes I know. There is no any problem to do this.

Yes, it is easy to covert the wider caliper to a narrow caliper………

Undo the 4 bolts and split the calipers. Carefully keep the ‘O’ rings in their respective seats. Removed the solid upper & lower spacers . Refit the 2 caliper half’s together and use new shorter bolts. I think the bolt torque is about 68Nm.

:)

Ian