another hydro assist question

red90 driver

I have been given the name of a company that will supply hydraulic cylinders to any size / configuration.

http://www.steerforth.co.uk/

They have a fully comprehensive DIY catalogue:

http://www.steerforth.co.uk/documents/RAMP...h%20Edition.pdf

Has anybody used these guys before, and how do the prices compare to other suppliers?

For installing hydro assist on the 90,

If I am to use a 1.5" bore cylinder, with an 8" stroke, what rod diameter should I use?

Nice web site Red , I bought a DA ram of ebay last week 40mm ID and 25mm rod , With 9" stroke , I have to cut it down to a 7 inch stroke as I want to mount it behind the axle where the stroke is not so great .But for 36 quid I aint to bothered about it if it all goes titsup.

Steerforth are probably about the best and cheapest supplier of rams around. I have used them many times.

The quality is good but the service is (was) slooooow. If you are on a deadline you need to keep the pressure on!

I've used Steerforth for loads of odd hydraulic projects - including ram assist and rear steer. I've been impressed with them. If all you want is a simple ram - it will probably be cheaper elsewhere or used. If wou want a one off, made for the job - they are brilliant!

There is no simple answer to how thick the rod needs to be - it really depends how much radial force there is (trying to bend the rod).

If you were using it in the same way as a rack & pinion steering setup, the drag links are excerting quite a lot of sideways force. Mine works in this way (with a double ended ram) and so I went for a 30mm rod.

If you are using a single, double acting ram in addition to the track rod, without any kind of drag-link, 20 to 25mm will be fine.

Si

• 4 weeks later...

Got some prices from them for some rams, all off the shelf - cost a bit more than I was expecting (don't forget to add VAT too!)

HFR1250200 - £62.32

HFR1250250 - £64.30

HFR2300200 - £81.67

HFR2300250 - £83.97

ramsah8.jpg

post-2053-1205256536_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the hydro assist steering kit from straight forward supplys got arsed around a bit but f**k that......... Its done now.... I took the set up to a local hydraulics agent (hendry hydraulics) (Elgin) who quoted me £40 for them to make the same ram and ends and i have a friend with an engineering company who could've made up the hoses from off-cuts just paying for the ends.... So if SFS had given me dimensions and info i would have been able to do this pretty cheaply..........!!!

I dont have the kit fitted yet as am still awaiting delivery of the portals before i can decide on and fabricate a set up.....

pics will be posted i expext it too be another 6 wks to 2 months tho.....