spacers?

hi guys,

just wondering if i could pic your brain on the topic of wheel spacers, to give my landy a bit more chunk and better handleing. whats the biggest i could go wihout cropping off a chunk of the wheel arch? and do they improve the handleing that much. thanks in adance,,,

sunshine

I'm no expert on this but I can't imagine spacers improving the handling... all you are doing is making the track wider and seeing as LandRovers have solid front & rear axles that isn't going to change anything much? Off road you might find an improvement - marginally less chance of rolling it & slightly more stable?

Most off road dealers sell 1" spacers for about £150, though the effect is much the same as when you fit non-Landrover wheels like Modulars as they often have more offset.

Going over 1" may be risky, wear out bearings and are difficult to source anyway??

Guest diesel_jim

I've run spacers on my old Td5 110 SW, and had no problems at all... apart from when one of the steering joints got a bit tired (can't remember now if it was the dro arm balljoint or the steering box itself) but it tended to "amplify" the wheel wobble.

going to fit them to my current project110 also.

difference in handling? hmmm... barely noticible really, but certainly worth it for asthetic value... pushing my alloys out an extra inch either side made it (IMO) look better.

Of course.... with the wheels sticking out that little bit further you get that little bit more poo being splashed up onto the sides of your vehicle; whether that bothers you or not.

thanks for that. i love her clean or poo covered. shes mostly clean these days though as i canny drive her for about another month. broke my foot back in november and havn't driven her since. usng the time to do some of the wish list. do you guys no if spacers improve turning circle? i love "the little mule" to bits but pulling a u-ey is like turning a cargo ship. or any ship for that matter. i get lost alot, hence for need of many u-eys. :lol: so i could get away with 30mm? brilliant,

sunshine

I've run spacers on my old Td5 110 SW, and had no problems at all... apart from when one of the steering joints got a bit tired (can't remember now if it was the dro arm balljoint or the steering box itself) but it tended to "amplify" the wheel wobble.

going to fit them to my current project110 also.

difference in handling? hmmm... barely noticible really, but certainly worth it for asthetic value... pushing my alloys out an extra inch either side made it (IMO) look better.

Of course.... with the wheels sticking out that little bit further you get that little bit more poo being splashed up onto the sides of your vehicle; whether that bothers you or not.

Yes spacers do improve turning circle (or retain it depending on if you change wheels/offset) and yes they do improve stability because of the wider track.

I think mine are somewhere between 25 and 30mm and they are great, with decent offset wheels mine sit just outside the arches when viewed from the top (ok, MOT problem but not drastic), been very impressed, and i get a great turning circle which is useful on road, and awsome off road as i can nip between trees and that easily.

without spacers my 235/85 tyres rub on the radius arms on full lock. Not cheap for what they are but I wouldn't part with mine.

Thats a standard size so the only excuse is poorly adjusted stops, however spacers are another solution which also improves stearing lock!

• 11 years later...