TD5 fuel tank into a 200tdi 90 defender

I need to put an extra tank in my 200tdi defender. I have done a bit of research and listened to what others say which leave me a bit stuck..

Plan 1 was to fit a tank where the battery goes.. which leaves the problem of finding a safe and well tucked away place for the battery.

Plan2 was to fit one of them rear wing tanks .. but as most people said, it'll get damaged.

Plan3 was to fit one of them 90l marine tanks in the back of the van. But i realy could do with keeping space in the back for other things. Also concerned about raising the centre of gravity so much.

Plan4 Is to rethink about a late 300tdi / td5 tank on the rear.

Questions .. Is it true that the exhaust will need to be modified. If so is it a little bend or a major redesign ?

Anyone willing to post some good pics of the tank + filler etc from a late 300tdi or TD5 so i can do some compares with mine to see if it looks like i will be able to manage the task.

Anyone else got any good plans ?

Jerry cans no good as its for duel fuel.

Guest diesel_jim

I don't see how the under wing ones can get damaged, as long as there is a decent "bash plate" mounted in front of it (5 or 6mm ali should do) then it'll be fine.

funnily enough i took some piccies of a Td5 90 i saw last week while on holiday. it had all the overland toys on it, and the twin fillers caught my eye.

the second tank mounted underneath the ECU box (so, under the RH side), was moulded plastic and "wrapped" around the ECU box, so came up a bit in front and behind it.

piccies:

post-130-1203193822_thumb.jpg

post-130-1203193847_thumb.jpg

I think the best thing to do would be to make a side exit and loose the rear scilencer.

I was thinking of doing this some time when it comes to changing my exhaust. Cant be too hard for an exhaust maker to make one for you in stainless or buy this one ready made :)

check this out. http://gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page10.html

That is awesome :lol:

Many thanx

• 11 months later...

Could someone please post up a picture with part numbers for the TD5 and/or 300TDi tank and mounting bits? I want to see the cost of doing this on a 200TDI. Has anyone actually done it to make sure things can be made to fit?

Edit: Ooops, I see it is covered in another thread, forget it then!!! :lol:

You just need to swap the 200TDi exhaust rear section (which has the transverse silencer) for the later 300TDi rear exhaust (which stays along the chassis rail like earlier models)

The exhaust is the easiest part of the mod, no probs at all with standard parts.

to mount the TD5 tank you need to chop back part of the rear crossmember, then weld some mounting brackets to the chassis to take the tank cradle. (the TD5's did indeed have a slightly different rear crossmember which gave a little more clearance)

Then you need either a second filler neck (you can get cheap take-off filler necks from Hobson industries for 20 quid) and make a mounting on the body, or use a Y piece on the standard filler.

And then you need to join the tanks together with a changeover tap or some other method of getting the fuel to the fuel line - I pumped the fuel from the TD5 tank into the filler neck of the main tank - easy and in the event of damage to the TD5 tank doesnt affect the main.

If you do a search there are a few good write ups of the job on here - as long as you have a mig welder and enjoy a bit of tinkering it's not too bad a job.

I got this job done. I presume by now you have found the thread where i posted the pics etc.

The tank itself is fairly cheap on ebay, but its all the other stuff that adds up. The sender unit for the tank aint cheap so if ya can get hold of one second hand then it will severely reduce costs.

Any questions, then just ask.

You need to use the latest one - I think the earlier ones may have had an extra silencer on the rear section - but I used the late one you have in your diagram and that fits perfectly.

One point to note that may save you some head scratching and pipe sawing (ask me how I know..) - the pipe runs under the rear chassis section to exit out the side - my old n/a exhaust ran over the chassis section. Simple enough, but had me rolling round on the floor wrestling with a steel snake for hours till I figured that one out... :angry: