Fuel lines / hoses

bishbosh

I am going to prepare the Bishtail for the dreaded SVA as I have decided that:

1.There is too much evidence out there that it should have one,

2. I will sleep better at night knowing it is definately legal and

3. I can do a nice long thread on it to prove / disprove any of the myths.

One of the many areas I will need to address is the fuel line runs. At present they are an "interesting" collection of original EFI lines, copper pipe, rubber hose and jubilee clips. Now before any of you cry foul that system has worked leak free (unlike many of the factory systems :lol: ) for a couple of years but I am reasonably sure the SVA man wont be impressed.

Consequently I need to replace the whole shooting match.

I need to get from the tank to a bulkhead fitting through the floor, then across under the floor, along the chassis rail and up into the engine bay.

I am not interested in bling alloy stuff, just cheap and functional, after all, it is a diseasel! :rofl:

So what does the panel recommend?

Rubber fuel hose from the hydraulics shop - cheap and flexible. You can get connectors for it to pass through things, I'd be tempted to just drill a hole and put a nice grommet in there so it's all snug.

For a step up, the hydrualics guys said the nylon push-fit hose & fittings are fine for fuel, a lot cheaper than "motorsport" fittings & hose too.

I think a lot of the SVA battle is if you've made a neat job of things, ISTR Corrode Finger saying he was asked to tidy a few bits of wiring up on his kit car at the SVA.

Are you going to put it through as a commercial or normal vehicle?

Jury is still out on commercial or not. Hopefully it will go commercial, but we shall have to wait and see.

Got any linkies to suitable hydro places? My local place is only open in the week so I can never get there... :(

If you are already bracing yourself for SVA then your first action would be to visit the local DVLA office and ask to talk with the inspector.

If the stumbling block is that the redundant chassis overhang has been pruned you may find the inspector will accept that the official words “Modified chassis” really applied to chassis being cut and shut for shorter wheelbase.

If this works then you will need 8 points from your donor bits. You may even retain your reg. or they will allocate an age related new one.

If you do go along then you should complete form V627/1 ‘Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report’ and take with you photos of, not only the completed vehicle, but also photos of the build and in particular the chassis chop so you can show how redundant that piece was.

Having typed all this with two fingers I now realise it could all be a pile of plop if your mods are way out there. Could have wasted my time.

Steve

Time not wasted at all Steve. Your feedback is most welcome. :rolleyes:

My mods are pretty mild, the chassis chop is definately the main issue here.

However, if I go see the DVLA inspector and he doesn't like what he sees then what? Will I get a prohibition notice?