200tdi starting problem

trr777

Hi all, I have a starting problem on my 200tdi, first start of the day the starter motor is very sluggish, thereafter ok!, sometimes like this morning the starter wont operate at all :angry: I can hear the relay clicking but nothing else, any advice gratefully received as I have got to tackle this in the morning :unsure:

sounds like the starter's knackered to me. the cold weather just has a habit of showing it up more, especially after being sat overnight

Thanks Jim, I knew it!, I bl**dy new it :(:( , its just cost me 2days work to get it through the mot last week, now this :angry: Tim

i hope im wrong mate, but yeah i hear you on the MOT thing. mine didnt cost so much money as time, but that aside, a grown-up will be along to agree/disagree soon enough im sure.

of course the usualy check all your earth straps, +ve lead etc all apply

Sounds more likely battery related to me especially in the cold weather of late..........

Plus, I always go for the (in this case, only slightly), cheaper option first..........

Thanks, but I've tried the easy/cheap options already, no joy, dont you just love 'em :rolleyes:

Hi all, I have a starting problem on my 200tdi, first start of the day the starter motor is very sluggish, thereafter ok!, sometimes like this morning the starter wont operate at all :angry: I can hear the relay clicking but nothing else, any advice gratefully received as I have got to tackle this in the morning :unsure:

Hi

Relay clicking normally means not enogh power from the battery to the starter. Bad connections are often the problem, as is poor battery. Check all conections on the cables. Take them off and clean them so you will have a good contact. You have to check both positive + and negative - . make sure minus from the starter to batetry is OK.

Best regards

Lars

Hi

Relay clicking normally means not enogh power from the battery to the starter. Bad connections are often the problem, as is poor battery. Check all conections on the cables. Take them off and clean them so you will have a good contact. You have to check both positive + and negative - . make sure minus from the starter to batetry is OK.

Best regards

Lars

Thanks for all your replys chaps, today I checked the starter by shorting across the permanant live to the starter and the spade connector on the starter solanoide, bingo starter turned over! :rolleyes: I then checked for 12volts coming out of the starter relay, yes! :rolleyes: turned out the fault was in the wire from the starter relay right at the lucar connector, new connector and end of problem :P , for now anyway!!! Tim.