Prop Removal

you might be able to grip the nut with a mole grip and turn the bolt head...shouldnt be too rusty I think (did you grease them? :P ), so the nut probably isnt jammed solid with rust...

if not possible that way, I can only think of a grinder... or maybe a chisel and a mighty hammer!

Guest diesel_jim

IF you can undo the prop from the other (gearbox) end, then you'll be able to move the prop "out of the way" a bit (as in, push it over to one side).

with this done, as above you'll be able to fit a small grinder in there, or get a 9/16" "wall drive" socket, which are great for rounded off nuts :moglite::moglite:

with the prop pushed over you should be able to fit in a decent 1/2" drive ratchet too.

The prop bolts are special to Land Rover. They should be fitted to the flange from the back of the flange. If you are working on a Rover diff and the bolts are fitted wrongly than I suggest you take the flange off and fit the bolts correctly.

Les. When did they change from 3/8UNF to Metric. The bolt holes are different metric to UNF

mike

I assumed the prop bolts were changed from imperial to metric on later models Mike - have they not?

Diff drive flange bolts go through from the prop side with the nuts nearest the diff. Both transfer case ouput flanges have the bolts 'captive'

Les.

Not so Les. That's how I know a prop has been off. There is a lip at the back of the flange. That was there in the days of the series one when Whitworth and BSF were the bolt sizes. The lip is supposed to hold the bolt head while you turn the nut. That's why it's very difficult to undo the nut if the bolt has been fitted from the prop end.

They haven't changed the prop bolt size up to and including the 300Tdi. What they did after that I have no idea.

Like the Rover diff The bolts that hold the track rod guide are still BSF.

Makes the mind boggle doesn't it.

Guest diesel_jim
They haven't changed the prop bolt size up to and including the 300Tdi. What they did after that I have no idea.

According to microCAT the new 2007 2.4 defenders still use 3/8th UNF