Pipe swaging tool

Chris Abel

I think you mean what Frost's call a Bead Former.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/25v9j5

Frosts are not the cheapest place, in my experience, but it should give you a starting point, and perhaps some fruitful alternative Search Terms.

An alternative idea, depending on your skill, is to run a line of weld around the tube. My understanding is that the bead doesn't form the sea to the hose. The clamp forms the seal, squeezing the hose onto the smooth pipe. The bead is to stop the clamp sliding off the pipe, so providing the weld doesn't damage the hose as it slides over, the bead doesn't have to be perfectly regular.

HTH

The budget way (and my way) is to use an old pair of mole grips.

Weld a ridge onto the bottom jaw, and grind a suitable recess into the top jaw.

Then just work around the tube, forming a bead 2cm at a time, by clamping up the mole grips.

Works fine in ali tube IMHO

Bead rollers are not rocket science, I made my first one to do interiour panels. The sketch below is of my original

beadroller, which was made to do race car interiour panels. I don't have a pic as it's been rusting away in a hedge since 1984, it gets pulled

out and used every now and again, still works fine. It uses two gears from my lathe and the handle is from the lathe. I use it nowerdays to

flange the edges of panels and stuff.

My pipe beader is pretty much like the pic in a post above, no throat depth to keep the whole thing as stiff as possible, it will bead stainless.

I used two gears from an old Montego starter, though I still use the lathe handle.

If you can weld put two beads on opposite sides of the tube. Pressing them in is OK, if you see a lot of the chinky intercooler pipework kits the beads

are pressed in.

The thing most racecar people seem to use is the Parker beading tool it's a small hand held thing that fit's in the

pipe. I was going to make one as mines a real git on intercooler pipes as it's bench mounted and wrangling a long bent pipe

around can be a real git.

beadroller2ca.jpg

thanks for the help, i was hoping to pick something up for under a £100 but no luck yet <_< when i get more time i might have to make something myself :rolleyes:

Ive recently moved the radiator in my rangerover to the passenger footwell so ive got loads of joints that need sorting out properly before they go popping off when hanging from a winch rope on some stupid angle!

has your co-driver got enough room?

I'm planning to stick an IP rated box in the passengers foot well for all the relays, wiring etc, the rad's going in the back.

yeah its got enough room to sit in, you can't stretch your legs out like before. Its a bit like a defender for legroom now :lol:

• 11 months later...

Just to dig an old post up , I Needed to bead some pipes and Cant justify spending that sort of money on a tool that will get used a couple of times , So I came up with a very crude and basic tool that cost nowt ,The results were satisfactory .

First attempt , I need to draw and follow a line for the next one , 2" steel pipe

027.jpg

The tool that did the job ,

028.jpg