Classic V8 ¿on-board monitor?

ALB-ARM

does I need to upgrade to Megasquirt ECU?

The default answer to that is "yes" :P regardless of the question :ph34r:

I don't think the 14CUX has any real diagnostics capabilities so no matter what the software it's never going to tell you anything.

Here's my PalmLog setup, you can make out most of the parameters, the full MegaTune/MegaTunix on the laptop gives you more options.

DVC00006.JPG

Thanks Fridge,

I have readed all your post about your car with Megasquirt, but, do you have any improvement in your performance or fuel economy? Only will have diagnostics capabilities or you feel a real improve?

My range is a 5.2 JE powered, but working with original 14CUX map. :angry2::angry2:

Sorry for my gramatical, but I´m not english speaker...

THANKS!!

By the time you've bought a chip for that 25-year-old ECU you could buy a MegaSquirt and tune it properly to your engine. Bear in mind any chip is only going to be a "closest match", and the 14CUX still doesn't have diagnostics or real tuning capabilities. You could probably get an EDIS-8 into the bargain for the same money and do away with the distributor as well.

I stand to be corrected but the 14CUX did not have OBD 1 support. However, the version for the US did have a code display on the ECU to comply with US regulations. OBD 1 is very limited as an interface and only really supports code based functions from a look up table with the ECU.

OBD 2 is very powerful and almost any parameter of the ECU can be read with a decent reader that fully supports the OBD standard ............. some readers are very limited...............

MS is very similar to OBD 2 in terms of what inforamtion can be extracted from the ECU and displayed.

Personally, once the ECU is set up, I dont need to know what is going on ............. I only need to know when it goes wrong or if I detect an area in the engine load / rev range that could be improved.

The 14CU & 14CUX were a complete POS :angry: ............ even in those days, compeditors products were not only more reliable, but were also more functional.

If I were trying to tune a 5.2L RV8 then megasquirt is the only ecomonic answer that will deliver the goods.

What is the specification of your 5.2L ...........

:)

Ian

At the very least you need a hedgehog chip from Mark Adams.

However, I have seen a few 5.2JED V8s, when John built these they were mapped normally DTA but certainly not std CUX systems so whats the story as to why this one has an unmodified EFI system ..... whats the AFM on it, is it a serp engine ?...some pics may help?

It must be horrendously if not dangerously (for the engine) weak

Whats the history here on this .....this should really have a DTA System ?

nige

Thanks a lot men!!

I´m sure now. Megasquirt will be my new ECU. I will wait until the big-stop that I have scheduled.

I do not have all informations about my motor. 2 Years ago, I buyed the JE motor from an Italian crashed DAKAR´s car that has a new motor. I know only have the information that the seller told me and the info from JE´s url.

The motor was originally a 3.5 with FLAPPER, rebuilded to DAKAR spec. but mantenain the flapper, the ignition system and ECU, obviusly, with a hard tune. In the Plenum, the air intakes for IAC and vacum was removed with aluminium welded plates.

I have the complete ECU, with injectors, wires, flaper, fuel presure regulator.... buy I can´t use that, because with this, the idle speed is arround 2000 revs. and fuel consumption is over 40 l/100...

The specification are, more than 300BHP and more than 400Nw of torque.

I allways want to talk with JE Company and do al lot of questions, but, I don´t know english....

Hmmm

The JED5.2s are not, and have never been, and can't be made from 3.5 blocks, .......not sure what you have ?

Post up some pics of the engine from various angles and positions, I may then be able to tell you more

Does the bolt have a horizontal row of bolts on the sises of the block.... just above where the top of the sump joins the block ?

Post up some pics

nige

Thanks a lot men!!

I´m sure now. Megasquirt will be my new ECU. I will wait until the big-stop that I have scheduled.

I do not have all informations about my motor. 2 Years ago, I buyed the JE motor from an Italian crashed DAKAR´s car that has a new motor. I know only have the information that the seller told me and the info from JE´s url.

The motor was originally a 3.5 with FLAPPER, rebuilded to DAKAR spec. but mantenain the flapper, the ignition system and ECU, obviusly, with a hard tune. In the Plenum, the air intakes for IAC and vacum was removed with aluminium welded plates.

I have the complete ECU, with injectors, wires, flaper, fuel presure regulator.... buy I can´t use that, because with this, the idle speed is arround 2000 revs. and fuel consumption is over 40 l/100...

The specification are, more than 300BHP and more than 400Nw of torque.

I allways want to talk with JE Company and do al lot of questions, but, I don´t know english....

Maybe we can help..................... what is your native language ?

If the system is flapper then the ECU will be a 14CU .........................that is older then the 14CUX

Can you post a picture of the engine ?

What is the engine number ?.............. its on the block between cylinders 3 & 5

Some of the Dakar engines were very special ........................ what car did it come out of ?

:)

Ian

Hello again,

Bull, my native language is the Spanish. I´m from the sunny Spain. ;);)

Post some photos of the JE engine. My range is a 3.9 hot wire and 14CUX, but the DAkar´s motor is a 3.5 based and flapper. The original 3.9 is installed and working fine, with a KellFord Extra Torque Camshaft, JE headers,... and I am getting arround 200bhp but I thinking to mount the JE engine but with the original ECU and sensors of 3.9.

some pics for you.

tdscn8154mb3.jpg

tdscn8155zj7.jpg

tdscn8156bm1.jpg

tdscn8157cr5.jpg

tdscn8158qp7.jpg

tdscn8159qr9.jpg

tdscn8160jz2.jpg

tdscn8161is2.jpg

tdscn8167qk0.jpg

THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!

Ah HA !

Righty Ho

25D makes it a early 3.5 EFI V8 9.35:1 compression - I think from originally an auto

The "JE" on the plenum I have never ever seen on a JE Before, and I am not saying it isn't a JE, just never seen that - whatever if it is a JE then its a VERY Early unit, made when he worked for JE Motors and not as now when he worked for himself at JE Developments.

The trumpet is a slighly modified unit. I say slightly modified as the trumpet has shorter trumpets in it but the steel Std OD sizes, the more tuned engines have shorter and wider bore trumpets and the manifold itself hasn't been enlarged, maybe cleaned up a bit buy ports are std sizes by the look of them.

When JE built engines he put JE and a number series on them, I have PM you this info, and as there is no mention of them I am assuming you can't find them ?...

I would say that without further stripping down what you have here is a very early 3.5 Poss JE or JE Insired V8 with mild tune work around trumpets and general cleaning of casting flashes etc, even heads looks stdish - but with a reversed plenum and EFI Flapper system, has the ECU got a knob on the side of it like a turning dial ?

Doubt that the CC is bigger then 3.5, .....maybe 4.2, but I seriously doubt it as then I would expect to see a JAG AFM ....and thats I'm fairly sure a 3.5 RR one.

One last easy thing you could do..

Have a look at the injectors, then Post up the Bosch number on them, should be 0280 xxxxxxx etc ?

That will tell me the spec of the engine via the injector size.

All in all not what you prob hoping to hear :(

Nige

Hi one more time.

I have dismounted my injector and the reference is 0280150157. I was looking for information and I find that this injectors are for JAGUAR XJS XJ40 XJ6. Could you tell me more?

Thanks!!

Yes

Thats good news

Basically on the bigger cc engines JE built in the 80s which I think were 4.2 - 4.5 and a few oddities in between, the flow of the std flapper 3.5 RR injector was too small, hence the move to a Jag unit with a hugher output of fuel :)

One more Q - has the AFM got a numner on it ?....this too shpould be a JAG unit, which I have numbers for at home.

Looks like it is MORE than a std 3.5, but poss no more than a 4.5 mid build as a max, my money now would be 4.2/3 version, there is more yet to narrow down, but lets see what the AFM number is :)

Nige

Thats good news

I’m happy again :D:D:D

One more Q - has the AFM got a numner on it ?....

Y don’t know, but tonight I’ll look for a number and post up for you. :blush::blush:

Reading about Jaguar, that motor is a 4.0 6cil. It have a 0.6 litres per cylinder. Calculating, these injectors may be used up to 5.2 V8 engines (without racer spec.)

I have a serious curiosity about if I´ll can use this motor with 95 oct. gasoline.

Thanks!

Thats good news

I’m happy again :D:D:D

One more Q - has the AFM got a numner on it ?....

Y don’t know, but tonight I’ll look for a number and post up for you. :blush::blush:

Reading about Jaguar, that motor is a 4.0 6cil. It have a 0.6 litres per cylinder. Calculating, these injectors may be used up to 5.2 V8 engines (without racer spec.)

I have a serious curiosity about if I´ll can use this motor with 95 oct. gasoline.

Thanks!

I'll place money its no bigger than 4.5 and prob more like a 4.2, we can narrow this down, there are ways but for now we can just go the one step at a time.

The injector thing don't get too carried away, the RR ones basically JE couldn't get enonough flow from, they are bosch, and top make things easy a Jag one fitted straight into the RR asembly with no other mods to the rail fittings etc, and the jag ones had a higher flow rate and therefore were used. They were however only used on early conversions, as there was little else to chose from, the 4.0-4.5s often had flapper as this was what was avaialable new at the time, later JE stopped these systems, and moved straight into the Hotwire 3.9 system - which has the same injector BTW from 3.5 Hotwire right up to the factory 4.6s and even then they can produce more flow, ie not at max. the later AFM and ECU were superior, and the chips different for programming, this system was around a while, then again JE moved forwards.

Due to the spec so far of your and the flapper system I still would go with a early unit, and nowhere near the curent exotic 5.)+ series which most have DTA systems and serp front ends.

What we do now know for sure is that while not a 5 series or current top end motor, its NOT a cooking 3.5RR one, we just need to narrow things a tad more

AFM number is 1

ECU - does it have a adjuster (or 2) on the side of it ?

Nige

I have dismounted the ECU and post up some images.

dscn8192px3.jpg

dscn8191er9.jpg

In the AIM there are two references 0280203005 and 73171B. I Think that are refering to BOSCH and Lucas references.

I search some info from AIM and its from XJ6 Series 3 4.2 litre. I think that Nige was in the correct way :D:D:D

Thanks.

Alberto.