Classic V8 ¿on-board monitor?

ALB-ARM

wooowww... I wanna have your ECU :D:D . Looks like a Megasquirt in the original 14CU box, correct?

I would like that you tell me, If you know, something about my 4.2 motor. How much is the CR? and How many BHP, torque, etc...?

As I told you, my idea is to mount this motor with the original ECU 14CUX from 3.9, hot wired and with new set or injectors for 3.9. When I can modify my ecu, do the rollout to Megasquirt 2 with EDIS8 ignition and the Jaguar injectors again.

At this moments, I need the car every day and I can´t upgrade now more things...

Regards,

Alberto.

Correct - MS in a 14CU box, plug-and play swappable. The extra connector is for the lambda and air temp sensors, the other is the serial port. The vacuum connection plugs in (push-fit) and away you go. If you want to, remove it and put a 14CU back in (although why you'd ever do that is beyond me).

One step forwards then one step back :(

Your ECU was not what I hope / expected to see, its a Range Rover 3.5 Variant - PRC 4764 is the part number for your model 84477B

It is possible that the Chip was upgraded, but these were rare and early prototypes, the adjustable fuelling system was the main syatem used, I have a feeling this may be a std ECU, I will dig some pics out of the JAG AFM and numbers to compare as I have the spares AFM still !

Do I dare ask how much you paid for this 'sort of now unknown' V8 ? :ph34r:

The real answer for what it is woukld mean for me you need to take a cylinder head off, measure the bore and take a pic of the bore / piston / base of head

I'll then tell you exactly ...........bar a few very minor details...........

Nige

Righty Ho

Just been and checked - 73171B

This is the Jag XJ6 4.2 AFM, and would be correct in matching the Injectors.

JED made a number of sizes of V8s from the block type you have :

Some are more rare than others, but I think from memory (yes I need to get out more ) :

3.5, 3.6, 3.9, 4.2, 4.4, 4.5 I think were possible from your type of block, it will most likely be 3.5 3.9 or poss a 4.2 IMHO but without the other major tunning items such as BVH etc, many engines are still built to a budget - not all eales engines are the same for a given CC - depends on the build spec, porting and headwork is hugely time consuming and hence expensive......

These are done via a mix of reliners and bore x stroke x pistons

Next step to be sure is to take a head off and pics + Measure

Nige

The block was pre Rover 3.9 (but it was also the last of the Range Rover 3.5 blocks) so its roughly at the time when JE were opening up the bores to 93.5mm (3.65in) which gave the engines a capacity of 3906cc..................... it may have used an ex iceberg crank that was the same stoke but had larger mains and big ends

Also are two other possibilities............. it may have then had the longer stroke crank (77mm) which would give it a capacity of 4234cc............ or even the JE 82mm crank which would give it a capacity of 4450cc .......... similar to the P76 engine

:)

Ian

:wacko::wacko::wacko: I´m very confused... When I buyed this engine, It was in really good conditions. The car that has this engine, has a roll out checking this engine after a complete rebuild. I payed 900€ with ECU, wires, fuel pump, double ignition coils, two clutches and a lot of spares.

I have the Range working fine with original 3.9 but I have some noise from a connection roods, and, as I have this new engine waiting in my garage, I´m thinking to change it. Only the engine, leaving the original EFI system. BUT, my final idea is to upgrade to a NEW MS ecu and improve at maximun the performance and fuel economy.

When I can lift a head, I will post more photos.

The better from this great forum are that peope and especially Nige, are supporting me to recognize my engine.

Thanks.

At a guess, I am going to say it is a JE 4.2 engine. At the time this was built there were many possibilities but it is looking more and more that this is a 4.2

The only real way to find out is to remove one head and measure the bore diameter ………….then carefully turn the engine and measure the piston stroke………then also measure the head diameter of the inlet valves

Before you turn the engine make sure the bores are clean of debris after removing the head………..

When you remove the head please show us pictures of the head combustion chamber and also a close up picture of the inlet ports. We will need pictures of the head gasket and the bores. Carefully clean the top of one piston (use a small amount of brake cleaner) and take a picture of any markings on the piston. If the pistons are not standard then they may be omega (very special pistons) B) ;)

The 14CU ECU has probably been modified to suit the engine……… some were modified like Nige suggested with variable control, and others were modified by changing components on the circuit board. I have details of the modifications.

:)

Ian

OK

I think I follow what your now planning to do

You have a RR with a dying 3.9, your thinking of removing the "Core" of the 3.9 and then replacing with the Engine we are identifying - and then use the EFI systenm from the 3.9 ?

.....................If this is the case "FOR GAWDS SAKE DO NOT DO IT !

The engine you have with the Jag Injectors and Jag AFM is incompatable with the Hotwire system,

the injectors are completely different and none of the Flapper (engine going in) and Hotwire (engine coming out) EFI systems can be swapped.

The fuel rail and mounting of the flapper system is completely different, and also the wiring harness and ECU

IF you fit the new engine and use the manifold injectors plenum wiring afm etc from the hotwire the engine will run hugely weak,

if you fit the new engine and use the JAG Injectors ECU etc you MUST use a Flapper loom and reisitor pack for the injectors,

this way you have a fighting chance of it being ok fuelling wise.

However, looking at the pics of the engine I would say the condition is a tad on the "Sad" side,

not what I would see as a 'fully rebuilt' engine - however for the price your probably not out of pocket too much.....

The givaways of how I think the engine is probably a bit of a mess is the red "Goo" all over the manifold to valley gaskey - horrible ! - and for me

I would be pulling the engine apart ..........to see whats what inside, and the condition etc

The further bad news is parts costs,

these engines have special rings on the pistons for the 4.2 and 4.5s the rings sets alone are around £300 !!!!

.........the pistons are about £180 each - and thats if they are Omega ones ..........and IF you can get them.

To be honest if this is a lowish spec 4.2 then this rebuilt properly with Jag Inj and AFM and ECU set up as best it can be (will run rich at bottom end and be a pig in traffic due to this)

vs say a 3.9 with a bit of minor work and a std EFI system you won't notice much difference power wise, becuase you only have the 3.0 - 4.2 gain cc wise, the reworkded and hugely ported heads and manifold and wider trumpets (you have none of these except from 'shortened') are what makes the huge differences power wise....

Until we see heads and pics of port close up I think I can only say 'I think" they haven't been breathed on,

bear in mind this engine was built and if shoved up against what the engine of the day was =- a 3.5 std RR engine then yes it would be quicker,

but the 3.9 offers more power than a 3.5 so its much closer to the 4.2,

the Flapper system (belive me on this) on this engine you have will drive you mental, ..........and thats when it DOES run properly.

So a 3.9 vs your (maybe ?) 4.2 both with MS ?.....

hardly anything to chose power wise IMHO,

and the 3.9 can be a whole load cheaper than the 4.2 to rebild.

I don't think it will be a 4.5 as it just doesn't seem to have the posh modified bits (heads porting manifold trumpet base etc) that goes typically with these engine,

after all the 4.2 vs 4.5 does add much, so it was the 'flows' and 'breathing' via heads trumpets inlet manifold etc that made the 4.5 really go some

Whip of a head and measure and post up then we can finally narrow down what it is :)

Nige