Rear door

As Nige says, worn door hinges. If you are really tight you can get repair kits,there is a brass ball in the hinge that wears.

I had a series station wagon years ago that I could never get the door to line up. Wasn't untill I scrapped the vehicle that I found the problem, the RH side panel had been assembled out of line! Obviously a communist disgruntled assembly worker involved (was built in 74) as there was also a tin of sardines in the LH rear side panel beneath a rivetted plate. Bit of a waste of time trying to sabotage a Land Rover, no-one noticed! :lol:

As Nige says, worn door hinges. If you are really tight you can get repair kits,there is a brass ball in the hinge that wears.

I had a series station wagon years ago that I could never get the door to line up. Wasn't untill I scrapped the vehicle that I found the problem, the RH side panel had been assembled out of line! Obviously a communist disgruntled assembly worker involved (was built in 74) as there was also a tin of sardines in the LH rear side panel beneath a rivetted plate. Bit of a waste of time trying to sabotage a Land Rover, no-one noticed! :lol:

Hi,

My "new" (27 month old) 90 CSW has this snag, so it's going back to the dealer for them to re-align the door and repaint the door bottom for the anti-corosion warranty.

I think it's just poor adjustment as there is usually plenty of movement on the hinge securing bolts on both the body and the door to effect a good clearance.

Scrumps

You should have a striker plate and support assy on the side that latches, this is adjustable and allows the door to be lifted from that side , IIRC there is some adjustment on the hinge side as well by physically moving the hinges where they bolt to the body, you will need to move the bottom hinge towards the door opening , due to radial effect you only need to move it a fraction , unles its catching on the bottom at hinge side which means lifting all the hinges. The main way is moving the strikers as the ball type hinges are that flexible (poor) anyway HTSH

Thanks guys,

I wondered if there was a way of adjusting the door I was unaware of. I also wondered in a moment of inspiration someone had come up with a "cunning plan"!

I will be having a go when it warms up and stops raining!

I do agree about the spare wheel and have considered a dedicated spare wheel carrier but I imaging they are a pain to use. Must be like having to open 2 doors to get into the vehicle. Having said that I can't say I have ever seen one.

MINESAPINT

Thanks guys,

I wondered if there was a way of adjusting the door I was unaware of. I also wondered in a moment of inspiration someone had come up with a "cunning plan"!

I will be having a go when it warms up and stops raining!

I do agree about the spare wheel and have considered a dedicated spare wheel carrier but I imaging they are a pain to use. Must be like having to open 2 doors to get into the vehicle. Having said that I can't say I have ever seen one.

MINESAPINT

There are a couple of types:

The cheaper ones are just swing-away bars that you move independently of the door.

The more expensive ones attach to the rear door and move with it.

As far as I can work out, the only downsides to these are 1)increased length of the vehicle, 2)rattling in some cases

It's on my list, though.

Here's a thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=23182

I've not seen any that aren't powder-coated.

I'm sure they all come to bits so I'm sure you could have them blasted and dipped.

I wouldn't bother, though. Wait until the Powder-coating is falling off before galvanising IMHO