Improving rear seats

Hi,

I am thinking about some way to improve the comfort :( of the rear seats (2nd row) in my 2000 Defender 110.

I am considering replacing them or making modifications.

Does anybody remember any previous thread on this topic or does anyone have any suggestions?

Any aftermarket rear Defender seats (or something that can be easily adapted) being sold in the UK or the US currently?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Santiago

Hi again,

Has anyone installed the Classic High Back seats by Trakkers and/or the 2nd row recliner and extension kits ?

If so could you provide some feedback on how comfortable the seats are (much better than the originals?) and if the recliner and extension kits are worth fitting? I guess these provide extra and much needed leg-room.

Thank you.

Regards,

Santiago

Hi

I have just fitted the Extension Kit and High back Seats in my 1992 110 sw

I got the seats off ebay. They don't match but will get some covers to go over them

If you want some pictures then let me know and I will pM them to you

I have the original style hi-backs with the extender kit, much better & more leg space for rear seat passengers, the extenders move the seat back [upright bit] up about 1 inch [25mm] & backwards about 2 inches [50mm] total. if you have rear side facing seats their forward end will be against the hi-backs upright part, but it doesn't cause any great problem. & the fit the standard LR individual seat frame too.

riotinto.com

Hi Santiago,

For the highbacks and the recliners you'd need to change your seatbases as well. You currently have the 60-40 split rear seats , but will need the 33-33-33 set up. Exmoor sell these too, but you might be able to get these cheaper off a so-called breaker or off ebay.

As for the Rio Tinto... Makes me wonder where in the world you are...

Jonathan,

I received the pics.

Thanks!

Yellow,

My 2000 Td5 (now with an International 2.8 engine) has 33/33/33 rear setas, thanks.

I work for Rio Tinto as an exploration geologist. It is a British mining company. I work and live in Argentina, but the name (spanish) is derived from a mine in Spain (the Rio Tinto mine).

Cheers,

Santiago

Sorry to hijack your post, but does anybody have a copy of fitting instructions for Exmoor 2nd row seats? Having looked on Exmoor Trim's site, it looks like the 2nd row now recline backwards, however the seats fitted to mine don't, so I think I'm looking for older instructions.

I'm looking to remove the extension brackets as it's predominently children who sit in these seats, however I'm not sure what to do with the sprung release hook you use for folding them forward. All the second row seat backs seem fairly loose. What combination of washers would be best to use at the pivot point at the bottom of the back of the seat to prevent it from being so loose?

Gareth

I fitted the seat extender kit to my old 110 - it makes a lot of difference to the comfort. I fitted some of their seat cushions as well just after, not the high backs but better than the square squabs.

When AAD made Defenders here, they modified the rear seat so that the backrest is visible in the rear window and lowered the squab a bit. I can post photos of the backrest catch plate if anyone wants. From 1996 BMW reverted to the UK spec seats, and last year Fraud closed the assembly plant. We seem to be going backwards.

I also got a galvanized chassis, terrific sound proofing and (for what it's worth) a rev counter.