Defender TD5 Clutch Change

Hi folks,

does anyone know when changing the clutch in a 2003 Defender 110 TD5 should the flywheel be changed too or just the normal clutch parts?

Also, is it easier to take out the gearbox or the engine to do the job?

Thanks!

Check the flywheel but by no means change it automatically.

Depends on what facilities you have available - the "proper" way is to take the gearbox out but that includes access to a ramp and transmission jack :)

Thanks BogMonster,

mmm... no access to either. Just thinking - Could maybe rob a few hours on a 2 post lift if my Dad is in a good mood. Engine out so?

Would it be prudent to change flywheel while it's all out anyway?

Thanks again!

Thanks BogMonster,

mmm... no access to either. Just thinking - Could maybe rob a few hours on a 2 post lift if my Dad is in a good mood. Engine out so?

Would it be prudent to change flywheel while it's all out anyway?

Thanks again!

Depends whether you believe in preventative maintenance - it might pay off in the long run, but it isn't cheap.

There is not really a lot in it in terms of work, between taking out the engine or gearbox. In a Defender, you can also stick an engine crane in through the door, take the trans tunnel out and sling the gearbox that way. If the engine was a TDV6 in a Discovery 3, you wouldn't even think of taking it out!

Check the surface of the flywheel, it'll most likely be fine, ad then check for excessive play between the two flywheel parts.

I know a little play as you turn it is fine but if there's forward/rearward play the advice I got was change it.

I'm sure the other boys can explain this better.