A Frame Ball Joint

V8david

Hi all, got the old A frame ball joint out with LOTS of effort. :blink:

Says in the manual to 'press' the new one in. Has anyone done this and is there a method? Or do I need to go to the local garage for the use of a hydraulic press?

• 1 month later...

The ball joint is a VERY tight fit.

Frankly I wonder why they bother with the bolts.

Bashing it in can work, but you must get it lined up absolutely or you won't get the bolts in. You can't just twist it about a bit once its in!

When I did mine I put threaded rod into the holes then used washers & nuts on these studs to pull the ball joint down into place.

As has already been said a proper press is the best way- I personally do them at home with a big vice though.

Make sure that the hole in the housing is very well cleaned out of all the old rust- you should then be able to see the splines all around it clearly. Put some grease in the hole and then insert the new ball joint- make sure the bolt holes are lined up with the threaded holes and then insert the bolts (you might need to start with some longer ones) and then start to wind them in to pull the ball joint in. You will then need to put the whole lot into a vice and then use a tube or other packing to allow you to squeeze the new joint fully home in the housing without bearing on the ball joint stem.

To be fair if you have managed to get the old one out without a press then putting the new one in should not foil you!

Si

Thanks for all the advice guys. Job was total success. Took it to a local engineering place in the end for the press. Thing I will say though in reply to Si's point, when they stuck it in the press they pressed straight down on the ball joint stem to get it in. Is that bad?! :blink: Haven't had any probs yet! Is it for stability rather than damaging the joint?

Cheers

David

I fitted mine the other weekend

I used the bolts to pull it in to start with just enough for it to sit square and with the bolt holes lined up. Then used a punch + hammer to make sure it was in tight. removed the bolts and set to with a large lump hammer and an off cut of 6mm wall box section and just thumped it in, hitting it evenly round the flange.

Its another of those jobs where a press is very useful, though not essential.

If yours moves as it did before being fitted then it should be OK.

Cheers paintman. Yeah, seemed fine before I put it back on the vehicle, no creeking since. Didn't move in the press during the job, all very gentle! Reckon all is fine.

set to with a large lump hammer

I wondered if that would work at the time! Never tried it though. I was absolutely shattered from smacking the old one out with a claw hammer! My right arm felt like jelly! I'll stop now because i'm setting myself up for a load of exerciseer jokes :lol:

Edited to remove naughty word. DEANO