Distributor/ignition issue's on a recently purchased '86 RRC

jerboa

Im not that familiar with slightly more modern V8's, my previous RRC was a 1978 model. It has a misfire, that manifests itself when you rev the engine at a stand still and does not pull that smoothly - under load you feel it misfire... Does it on both LPG and petrol. Went to replace plugs, leads, cap and rotor however, I noticed that the distributor seems to have a lot of rotationl play - as in you can turn it a good 45 degrees - but it doesn't return! you can move it one way and leave it, then move it the other way and leave it??? Is that normal?

I think at this stage that this may have some thing to do with the centrifugal/mechanical advance perhaps being bust.. unless that movement is normal.. The enigne starts up and seems to idle ok though noticably slower on LPG... It would fit in with the lack of power - two thirds throttle but only 20mph on an incline! Other than this it could be coil/amp pack?

Any help would be much apprecieted, i need to go places at a respectable speed!

Im not that familiar with slightly more modern V8's, my previous RRC was a 1978 model. It has a misfire, that manifests itself when you rev the engine at a stand still and does not pull that smoothly - under load you feel it misfire... Does it on both LPG and petrol. Went to replace plugs, leads, cap and rotor however, I noticed that the distributor seems to have a lot of rotationl play - as in you can turn it a good 45 degrees - but it doesn't return! you can move it one way and leave it, then move it the other way and leave it??? Is that normal?

I think at this stage that this may have some thing to do with the centrifugal/mechanical advance perhaps being bust.. unless that movement is normal.. The enigne starts up and seems to idle ok though noticably slower on LPG... It would fit in with the lack of power - two thirds throttle but only 20mph on an incline! Other than this it could be coil/amp pack?

Any help would be much apprecieted, i need to go places at a respectable speed!

Sounds like the springs for the bob weights have come off.

If you "Pulled" the rotor arm off the shaft without holding the shaft down on the ridge with a screwdriver that will do it, do a search on the forum as this was covered recently on a blow by blow how to guide :)

If you didn't use genuine parts then buy some, pattern V8 Caps and arms are a waste of £s

Nige

Guys... Thanks for that, Just scoured the link there's some good info. I'll have a look/see with my dizzy tomorrow.. friend of mine is coming along with a few replacement parts (ECU, flapper, and Dizzy) for me to try out, though my problems seem to be with dizzy so that'll be first to go on... I'll let you know how i get on, might only be beginning of issues...!

Well, I got a new dizzy out of paddocks, but you get the later 35DLM8 these days, (side mounted amp) so you have to modify the wiring - only slightly - and it worked, car runs much better though haven't had chance to properly see to the timing as my engine has no marks/pointer whatsoever, yes, im looking in the right place...!

Problem though, It didn't stop me breaking down on the way home from my mates house last night, the alternator light came on and about 20mins later "burrrrrrrr" as the engine just died! Not sure whether its because i monged it when rewiring (I only disconnected +ve feed to original amp), or whether its just a case of bad timing - suggestions!!

post mortem on the way, cheers..

The wiring diagram doesnt show any obvious wiring relation between the coil and alternator warning lamp circuit but the coil to amp wires are loomed into the same section of wiring that feeds the alternator energising circuit (ignition lamp circuit)

However if that connection was broken the light wouldnt come on at all.

I'm stumped!