Swivel housing

bushwhacker

I guess you mean the swivel housing covers. If so, you should still be able to get the leather ones. Rub as much vaseline as you can into them and they'll stay nice and supple.

I had a pair fitted to an exMOD S3 that was rotten everywhere and full of sand (think it may have been sea-dunked), swivels were mint underneath the leathers. I now have them fitted to my 2A, think I got them from craddocks.

Cheers

Ell

Paddocks do both

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/SERIES/Axl..._-_Leather.html

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/SERIES/Axl...t/Bailcast.html

Note that although the rubber gaiters have the Britpart name, they originate from Bailcast, who do lots of similar split rubber products, such a CV joint boots.

I've also seen it is essential to work vaseline (Petroleum Jelly is the cheaper generic product) into the natural leather, to improve it's water resistance.

I have read a suggestion to take a pattern from a pair of leather gaiters, then buy cheap leather jackets from Charity shops and cut new gaiters from them. I've never seen it done.

I chose to fit the rubber gaiters, but haven't put any mileage on them yet.

Cheers.

To be honest I had not seen the split type rubber ones before and if they can be glued together then I think I,ll try a repair with some silicone on mine. Its only the one side needs fixed. And at £24 plus vat there would no harm in trying it.

Do you think the wife would miss a piece cut out of the settee :rolleyes:

I was just wondering had anyone found a cheaper method, thinking outside the box as they say,

There has to be something that would do the job?

If you do vaseline leather gaiters I've got a couple of tips:

1) Rub the vaseline all over then heat with a hair drier, the leather will absorb twice as much with little work.

2) Get the missus to buy a big pot of vaseline. Buy it yourself and you'll get some really funny looks ... :ph34r:

AndyG