Newbie Question

Also, the little rubber boots that cover the end of the hub. Mine are a bit dry rotted and I know I've seen them online before, just don't remember where. Anyone know?

almost any supplier of landy parts will have the hub caps, the biggest online shop is ebay.uk all the parts to build a landrover

Axles are either a salisbury or rover type, the salisbury has a bolt on cover on the back, the rover has a bolt in centre housing which holds the diff itself.

Guessing by previous posts, you bought a 1983 ex Military 110. These beasts have a Salisbury rear axle, which were made by Dana (44 or 66, dunno exactly which, but can be sourced from underneath your friendly neighbors's Jeep). Therefore parts are exchangable with Daan's. Adults on this forum will come along soon and add some more info.

There are threads on the forum on drum-to-disk conversions, which show exactly the type of axle that is under your truck.

Not that it matters, but I thought the Salisbury was a licence-built Dana rather than the other way round. ;)

Dana bought the company I believe.

Unless you're sticking silly size tyres on it the axles (UK speak = halfshaft) will be fine, and they're only about £20 ($40,000 at current exchange rate) new from the likes of Paddocks, Craddocks, etc.

For US-based info I'd check Pirate4x4 but be aware they take their tech seriously ;)

£20:$40,000 haha I remember when it was only 1.20 Dollars to a GBP and I thought that was bad. Now even the Canadian dollar is more valuable, just embarrassing. Yes It is a ex-mil 110. Thanks everyone.

One more question... for now. What might be or might not be interchangeable with the 1993 NAS 110s? Lots of NAS parts floating around this side of the ocean but not many early Defender bits? (there just aren't many here, most have gone through some clever registration to get here)

Pretty much anything can be made to fit but the NAS 110s were all station wagons and V8 engines. The roll cages are specific to the SW and in my opinion your military light lenses are nicer than the NAS ones. Other that that they are just standard Defenders. If you need to know, just ask.

You have some very good techy websites in the US plus some parts guys that know there stuff although they probably cater mostly for the wealthy Dollars no object restorer/owner.

clever registration

There's a lot of that goes on here, some of it blindingly obvious, to get road tax free (in UK) or vintage status (in Ireland).

There's a distinctive 101 on ebay that's a re-registered write off that's suddenly 1973, bit stupid (and blatant fraud) when there's only a small circle of owners.

Thanks for the info sean. One of the popular scams here is to use a few parts from a series rover and bolt them to a Defender and register it as a "salvage/rebuild" of the series rover. Here they want it to "be" older than it actually is. After 21 years the EPA doesn't care anymore and after 25 years the DOT doesn't either.

I've found a few parts places in the US and Genuine Land Rover parts are very expensive. No exaggeration, a cv joint replacement kit made by Pro-Line is about 120 USD, same bit but genuine is 400 and change. Calipers can also run into the 500's each. A 1993 NAS 110 with less than 100k miles demands over $60,000; If I'm not mistaken a new 110 in England isn't that much?

I'm sure it's the same everywhere but it seems the US has more than its share of people with "more money than sense."

Guessing by previous posts, you bought a 1983 ex Military 110. These beasts have a Salisbury rear axle, which were made by Dana (44 or 66, dunno exactly which, but can be sourced from underneath your friendly neighbors's Jeep). Therefore parts are exchangable with Daan's. Adults on this forum will come along soon and add some more info.

There are threads on the forum on drum-to-disk conversions, which show exactly the type of axle that is under your truck.

The rear axle is a Salisbury 8HA, and was built under license by GKN from Dana. It is based on a Dana 60, but isn't the same. The axle tubes are lighter, the axles are smaller diameter and only 24 spline, the hardware is metric instead of SAE, and the pinion spline is different.

Contact Keith at Rovertracks http://www.rovertracks.com, or Great Basin Rovers in the US for heavy duty axles for Rovers.

Keith can also clue you up on how to convert the rear end to disc using commonly available in the US RRC bits.