TD5 90 - First Land Rover!

As for parts, there is very little difference in cost so i dont know where you got that idea from!

From Paddocks website for a start ;)

Examples:

Lift pump 200 Tdi : £21.50 + VAT

TD5: £168 + VAT

Big end shells Tdi: £8.48

TD5: £27

Piston rings Tdi: £13.50

TD5: £79.95

The list goes - sure the rest of the car is a Defender, but engine parts are dramatically different.

Then there's stuff you just don't ever need to replace on a Tdi, but you might on a TD5...

ECU Tdi: £0.00 + VAT

ECU TD5: £ No idea but it's more than nowt and probably many hundreds.

Then there's complexity of repair...

Compare and contrast removing/replacing injectors on a 200Tdi with a TD5, or replacing the drive belt for the ancilliaries come to that.

Unless you've got significantly deeper pockets than your average 17 y/o then a Tdi has to be the way to go for a first car.

Cheers,

From Paddocks website for a start ;)

Unless you've got significantly deeper pockets than your average 17 y/o then a Tdi has to be the way to go for a first car.

Cheers,

An unknown history TD5 engine is significantly more reliable that and unknown 2 or 300 Tdi .................add this to the simple fact that 200 parts are getting more difficult to get ............... when was that last time you saw a new 200 head ? ............then there is the elastic band cam drive syndrome deficiency of the Tdi...........I could go on a bit more.................

The TD5 is now a proven engine ................ much of the early criticism will have (or should have) been mopped up during its warranty period............

However, I am known for my dislike of stinkin diesels ......................but a tuned V8 is not really the way for a 17 y/old to go :lol:

:)

Ian

Only just caught up with this thread, takes me back 25 years to my first LR, no advice, no forums, no mechanical knowledge, bought first I saw and was well ripped off! Boy did I learn fast!

TBH you probably need to be in a club for a while for it to be helpful, although a local one may be better than a national club at this stage. You're more likely to find someone on here who can help you look and introduce you to other owners in the area and advise on the club to join.

I'll join in on the TD5 defence, great engine, very reliable, don't need a dealer to service (just a mate with a Nanocom to read faults or buy one yourself), no rubber band to go ping, ancilleries never fail etc etc.

The cost of running and repairing one are going to pale into insignificance compared to insurance until you are 21 at least, so if you can afford it, jump in with both feet, the water's warm! :D At least you are more likely to walk away if you get it wrong in a Land Rover rather than a eurobox and you'll get less attention from the police.

I found NFU very good when I was in UK.

Give surterm direct a call too, when i was ringing round for quotes they were half the price of all the others who could stop laughing long enough to quote me.

Will (also 17)