PTO Winch on Ebay

Scotian

Hi people. I just found this on ebay and was wondering whats involved in fitting a PTO winch to my vehicle?

Can anyone tell me (I just know western is going to answer this :P ) if this is worth buying, how much I should be the max I pay for it and how do I fit the PTO part of it

Here on ebay

£250 wouldn't be a bad price, it's the shafts that are worth the money as the PTO's and winches crop up fairly regularly, I got a winch like that for £50 and a PTO for the same money, minus shafts and bumper though.

If you buy it, clock the PTO round so it's up out of the way.

Hi people. I just found this on ebay and was wondering whats involved in fitting a PTO winch to my vehicle?

Can anyone tell me (I just know western is going to answer this :P ) if this is worth buying, how much I should be the max I pay for it and how do I fit the PTO part of it

Here on ebay

Forget that Marcus, you need this item on ebay

Ahh the joys of a PTO winch.

Firstly - what do you want to use it for? If it's for recovering yourself on a regular basis at playdays etc, I would say save your pennies and get something electric or hydraulic (= easier to operate). I run a H14 and if I can I try to avoid using it as it can be a PITA by the time you have faffed about with levers and your transfer box etc. The Superwinches were not really designed with recovery in mind - more to do with stuff like putting in telegraph poles etc. Hence why the utilities companies use them. Having said that, they are generaly cheaper and will run all day as long as your engine is, and of course there is always the novelty factor that they are stupidly powerful!

secondly - what fridge said. the shafts are the expensive bits, but it likes like all is present and correct, although not sure from the photo about the brackets to support the driveshaft, as they varied from landie model to model. Easy enough to make though if your that way inclined. You don't really want to be buying bits from Superwinch themselves, as to say the bits are a tad expensive is a bit of an understatement. Hybrid from hell put a post on here somewhere regarding where to get cheaper uj's - an absolute godsend unless you are loaded!

I would say from the photo that you would need to budget for a new cable - £50 ish from PG winches or they do come up on ebay - but bear in mind that you will probably want a 11/12mm cable due to the winch capacity.

Superwinch are brilliant for technical help and instruction manuals. You need to talk to Dave (can't remember his surname).

If you buy it and install it make sure you use the spacer ring that should already be on your transfer box along with the blanking plate. The one I got with my PTO and winch was too thick so the gears were not engaging properly - apparently they are all different due to landrover build tolerances!!

Lastly it is a good idea to connect up a light or buzzer to remind you the PTO is engaged so you don't drive of with it winching itself in. :ph34r::ph34r:

Do a search on here for info - there are bits and pieces that are very useful, including, as fridge mentioned, clocking the PTO unit off to one side. One day I'll get round to doing mine!

HTH

James

Forgot to add... to install PTO, remove blanking plate off back of transfer box AND SPACER RING - you will need this. Bolt up PTO including spacer ring you just removed. I used hylomar blue sealant around the join also. You will need slightly longer bolts IIRC. Fill with oil. Drill hole for engagement lever thru seatbox. Install leaver. Job done.

for one tiny split second I thought Paul was going to say something useful. How wrong I was :P

Anyway.. PTO. I want a winch but dontreally want to go electric becuase I've already got way too much electrics on my wagon and I'm an old luddite who likes things done the proper old way.

How does this PTO winch compare to modern electric winches? What kind of weight will it pull and are there any other pitfalls to think about rather than the normal pitfalls you suffer from going electric?

regarding operation - it can be a pain as there is no remote or anything - all levers and mechanicals. There was a brilliant post on here recently about the best ways to do it. I have installed one of those nice big red round emergency stop button things into the fuel pump electrics, and mounted it on the bumper. That way, if I am winding in so as to respool the wire nice and tiddly (!!) I can stop the engine, and hence the winch, at exactly the right moment so I don't have the cable either to tight or too loose when not in use. It's a godsend for those times when you are alone.

You need to very regularly regrease the uj's and sliding joint, but thats no biggie. You will probably need to uprate the front springs as well, as they tend to be 'rather heavy'! 2 people struggled to lift my H14 (But it was in the bumper with 150ft of 12mm wire on it!)