Fitting a 300Tdi

Hello all.

I am getting ready to stuff a 300Tdi and gearbox into my Ex-Mod 110. I think I have just about everything I need, but I do have a question (first of many I think).

My 110 is currently fitted with a 2.5 NA diesel and an R380 gearbox, with the shorter bell housing. When I fit the replacement R380 with the longer bell housing, will the gearbox sit into the same location and will I be able to my current drive shafts? :unsure:

If so, that will make measuring up and moving the engine mounts quite a bit easier. I believe when replacing an LT77, it needs to be moved. At least I think that's what I read somewhere, hence my question.

Any info gratefully accepted.

Brett

that stumpy bell housing is very difficult to find, so you might get a good price for it with or without the short mainshaft R380 gearbox,

the long bell housing gearbox will sit in the same place as the existing one, so props will be fine, the engine should sit further forward & above the front axle, with a very short fan cowl on the radiator.

Welcome to LR4x4 & PLease read the pinned info at the top of the forum threads list, it'll help you with using the forum.

Thanks Western, that's really good to know.

I've got the engine, gearbox, rad, cowl and lots of other new bits. I'm in the middle of a timing belt change, then new water pump, motor mounts and clutch and I shold be good to go.

Oh, and I have an excellent welder helping me. ;)

I am half toying with the idea of putting the 2.5 NA and gearbox into my Series 3 88... but that will be a whole new topic.

Brett

Thanks Western, that's really good to know.

I've got the engine, gearbox, rad, cowl and lots of other new bits. I'm in the middle of a timing belt change, then new water pump, motor mounts and clutch and I shold be good to go.

Oh, and I have an excellent welder helping me. ;)

I am half toying with the idea of putting the 2.5 NA and gearbox into my Series 3 88... but that will be a whole new topic.

Brett

Hi,

I would be very much interested in the R380 short bellhousing and input shaft if you are thinking of swapping to a long shaft/bellhousing. Let me know your plans.

Cheers.

Hi,

I would be very much interested in the R380 short bellhousing and input shaft if you are thinking of swapping to a long shaft/bellhousing. Let me know your plans.

Cheers.

And so am I, but you're first so I'll wait. Complete R380 with short bellhouse would be nice also :)

I don't know if you can make the original propshafts do the job but certainly when I had a 300TDi re-power kit (complete with new R380) fitted in to my old 2.5NA D 90 it came with new propshafts, gearbox cross-member, tunnel, floor-plates etc.

front prop for 90/110 is FRC8390 common to most models inc the Tdi engined vehicles.

rear prop for 110 is FTC3245 with rear drum brakes

or

FTC3905 with rear disc brakes

90 has rear prop FRC8392 [200Tdi or earlier engines]or FRC8393 [300Tdi & later engines]

Well, I suppose worst case I could have the prop shafts shortened (lengthened?) if needed, but I am hoping it won't be necessary. My 110 has rear disc brakes.

There does seem to be some interest in the the short bell housing from the R380, but most likely, if and when the time comes, the gearbox will be sold complete.

Another question about the install. Where does the fuel filter mount? Is it on the bulkhead like the 2.5 NA? I seem to remember some one once telling me it mounts on the chassis rail. There is a filter and fuel lines attached the the 300 now, but that doesn't really help me with a location.

Brett

Well, I suppose worst case I could have the prop shafts shortened (lengthened?) if needed, but I am hoping it won't be necessary. My 110 has rear disc brakes.

There does seem to be some interest in the the short bell housing from the R380, but most likely, if and when the time comes, the gearbox will be sold complete.

Another question about the install. Where does the fuel filter mount? Is it on the bulkhead like the 2.5 NA? I seem to remember some one once telling me it mounts on the chassis rail. There is a filter and fuel lines attached the the 300 now, but that doesn't really help me with a location.

Brett

Still may be interested in whole box. Keep me updated on progress!

Cheers.

"Another question about the install. Where does the fuel filter mount?"

It is the separator that mounts on the chassis, the fuel-filter on a 300TDi is bolted to the wing above the steering-box (not certain what the layout would be on a LHD but I suspect it may just be the reverse of RHD models).

It is the separator that mounts on the chassis, the fuel-filter on a 300TDi is bolted to the wing above the steering-box (not certain what the layout would be on a LHD but I suspect it may just be the reverse of RHD models).

Ok, thanks for the info. Should be able to find the spot then.

Brett

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have a habit of dragging up old threads....

I am doing almost exactly the same thing, but my truck is an 86 90, not a 110.

I am trying to figure out which exhaust the 300tdi "should" have, but I don't really have a clue about how to figure this out,

I can't use the 90's Chassis Number to search on a parts website as obviously that age truck "should" have a 2.5n/a (or 2.5TD) so they won't list any for the 300tdi, as it wasnt even around in 86. I don't have the chassis number for the Discovery that it came out of but that won't help anyway, as I'm not mounting the engine back into a Discovery :rolleyes:.

I'm not really even sure on the age of the old Discovery. I believe it was an early type though (only saw it in bare Chassis form).

SO,

I used to have this Exhaust: (it's on the garage floor in several rusty lumps)

def909.gif

Will this exhaust fit?:

def9016.gif

Regards,

Matt2