stupid intercooler question!

do intercoolers have to be blow thru or can they be suck thru?

ie instead of filter/turbo/intercooler/inlet can it be filter/intercooler/turbo/inlet or am i being stoopid?

Not really a stupid question - but:

The whole point in having an intercooler is to cool the air that's been heated by the compression action of the turbo.

Therefore if you plumb the intercooler in upstream of the turbo, there is no point in having it fitted.

Matt

Guest diesel_jim

^^^^^^ What he said.

the intercooler is there to cool the compressed air, so by fitting it up-stream of the turbo you'll have a system with no functioning intercooler in it.

Whilst we're on the subject. How much of a power loss would there be on a 200tdi if there was no intercooler.

Power loss running without an cooler isnt that much, they are a relativley modern must have item.

Most of the large machines I look after (Cat D8,Cat D6, Cat963, volvo A20) dont use an intercooler.

I know they were designed without them while a TDI is meant to have them.

My intake manifold temp is higher by about 30 degrees C than an inter cooled model (I checked) but the vehicle compares well to other TDI's I regularly drive.

I like the idea of a small fan cooled system and may have a go at that.