Chassis

If you tried to fuel proof a chassis I'd worry about being able to completly seal it and then to ensure that no cracks appear from stress fractures. These could be a nightmare to track down and fix. Petrol is thinner then water so it will leak even if the chassis is waterproof.

You could make up a chassis from scratch that is primarily a fuel tank that has outriggers and suspension mounts added but there would still be the risk of stressing the tank.

There is also the risk that one day you will forget and drill a hole in it for something or try welding it.

Fuel tanker semi trailers in the past used to suffer from leaks and fractures when they were chassisless and relied on the tank to handle the stresses between the fifth wheel and the trailer axles.

Unless it's a new chassis you have no real idea how sound it is inside. Also you'll never get it clean enough inside.

None of the welding on a chassis is designed to be impermeable to fuel.

LR chassis are full of various holes for things to bolt to, you'd need to weld them up or, if something's bolted to them, weld in a sealed sleeve.

You'd need several pickups and a way to ensure the fuel pump(s) were drawing from the one that's submerged, when you go uphill the front ones would be sucking air all the way. Sticking some baffles in would be a good idea if not the easiest thing in the world.

You also need to phone your insurance company and wait for them to stop laughing and give you a quote the size of the moon :ph34r:

It's been done on custom-built machines but then they were designed and constructed specifically to be like that.

It's an interesting idea, but what would it do to weight distribution?

If you kept a twin rail chassis design you would probably have to make sure fuel was taken equally from both rails. Also, as the chassis rails emptied the fuel could slop around over greater distances under heavy braking/turning which might have nasty consequences.

The problems of fuel surging & balancing the tanks is easily overcome on boats with baffles & a balance pipe.

Welding can be a problem if not carried out correctly & I do accept there may be problems with stresses.

The idea actually came to mind as a way of protecting the chassis inernally against corrosion. A chassis generally kept full of diesel would surely have a longer life.

Who knows Land Rover might introduce it as standard on the defender in the future!

MINESAPINT

"But the fuel is currently stored in a container not much thicker than a baked bean tin."

So it is but it is not subject to the immense forces that a chassis is including weight carrying, twisting and impact resistance.

What about where the exhaust runs close to the chassis and the heat that can cause (especially when stationary running)?

Where would your pick-up pipe be or would you have several for when the vehicle was on various inclines? If so, how would you then prevent the redundant ones sucking up air when all the fuel has run down to the other end of the chassis?

I would like to say that it is a nice but not practical idea however I don't like the idea anyway so I won't. :blink:

Box-section front bumpers have been made that carry water but I am not aware of one for fuel.