So then...

The Badger

Follow the DVLA guidelines, and keep 8 points.

The most important part is that it must have the original unmodified chassis, or a direct replacement with reciept.

The other points are made up from things like:

transmission

engine

steering assembly

suspension

axles

I think (from memory) as a bare minimum you can do the chassis and two other major components. Seeing as you can't modify the chassis you have to keep leaf springs so that's one more point, then it's as easy to stick with original axles.

You can then put whatever body, engine and gearbox you want on.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Buyin...cle/DG_10014199

• 2 weeks later...

Just worth pointing out that it is not 25 years old that qualifies but manufactured before 1973. I bought mine when it was 23 years old and then just before its 25th birthday the Government changed the law from 25 to 1972. It is now nearly 35 and I still have to pay each year!

The historic vehicle tax exempt cut-off date is December 31st 1972. If your vehicle was registered or made after that date, then you have to pay the current tax rate. If your vehicle was registered after 31st, but made before, then you can still get historic status, but you have to supply official proof of it - a Heritage certificate is the usual way.

As an example - catflap was registered on 3rd Feb 1973, but was made on 22nd Dec 1972, so he qualifies as a historic vehicle, so is therefore exempt from road tax.

Les.